Snorkel Air Intake

Do they take the filter out of the lower unit ? Will the lower rubber extension let in water if it gets that high ? The top filter looks like it is taken from an older tractor setup.
I would think it would make more sense to take the original complete canister and move it to the top near the roof running flex rubber hose with section of PVC.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
I have no idea who is making these. They are similar to what individual NTT members have made and have used successfully. The $54 is significantly less than the Kubota price.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Agent Blue, your questions seem related to whether it is actually a snorkel. Looking at the arrangement, it only raises the suction source from the verry dusty OEM location to near the top of the ROPS. This doesn't allow the engine to run beneath water.

Speaking of water, note the location that tranmission fluid is added. It's just at the top of the transmission and covered with a plastic slip-on cover. I personnally would not depend on that cover to keep water out of the transmission if submerged.

Two Guns, have you experienced swamp water getting into your tranny? Or have you replaced the cover with something better? Maybe, the pre-XT RTVs have a better cover for the tranny fill port.

razerface

it only raises the suction source from the verry dusty OEM location to near the top of the ROPS. This doesn't allow the engine to run beneath water.

it does not matter where the filter is located IF,,,IF,,,,the system is sealed. It would run under water no matter where it is, as long as the air intake is above water level.

It looks like it is made from hard pvc piping?

I would not trust my caps on the tranny either.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Air Intake

This is a picture of my homemade air intake. I found the black pvc pipe fittings located in the sewer dept at Lowes.- I bought a piece of the pipe but didn't use it. The paint won't scratch off since these are solid black. I used a piece of heavy flexible water hose from a water trailer to run to the top and just let it draw air up under the roof. That way water can't get in and I don't have anything to get knocked off . I did look at the mushroom ,filtered air intakes by Donaldson (I believe it was) but this oem filter stays so clean that I am good with this one. I think it was Two Guns posting a link on those in a past post. If I did get one it would be a the turbine type with the filter.
It is a very tight fit there on the RTV where the bed comes down . I am talking about where you can see a slight white scratch on that ebay link and mine about where the top of the bed lip would be.. I would make sure that if you make your own, that you not reduce the air intake size pipe. Just make sure that this area won't be a problem for your design.
That rubber cap on the transmission has a vented place on the side, I agree that it would never work for water- also the dip stick would be precarious.

edit: The cable ties are what I used to hold this assembly on temporarily and ....I still haven't replaced them since building this just after getting my new RTV in Aug of '11. If I reemember my '05 design correctly, the older models don't have a notch for the high air intake pipe in the plastic , black body near the rops the newer models do. I still made one of these for the '05 but had to adapt the fit there. Since they have worked so well on this farm machine, I may just get some black ties , bed liner spray paint for the flexible water hose and keep on going. (I just put a bead of clear silicone around the vulnerable connections.) bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3671.JPG
    DSCF3671.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF3672.JPG
    DSCF3672.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF3674.JPG
    DSCF3674.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCF3675.JPG
    DSCF3675.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Good point on the transmission. Will have to check it closely.
Why would it not make sense to move the entire filter to the top ? Pepr, why would it not be a closed system if piped directly to the top ? I go through streams since the dnr is so picky about permits and specs. At this point the water is less than a foot deep but I still like the idea of a sealed unit far above the affected area. It would not be in the way of any cargo I carry.

razerface

the 900 has an advantage over the 1100 on the roof. There is no overhang on the 1100 to hide the intake from the rain. I wonder if a 180 bend at the top end to point back down,,,shielding it from the rain,, would restrict flow. Too many corners aren't good. I would like to leave my filter down low,,so if i had a leak in the pipe, it would not matter too much. I won't go in deep water,,just need the dust protection.

cpsseals

aqua-sphere-total-dry-snorkel-blue.jpg
I wonder if a 180 bend at the top end to point back down,,,shielding it from the rain,, would restrict flow. Too many corners aren't good.

Hey razerface, I was thinking the same thing, but I don't think the 1100 is a very deep breather. I'm sure that if we keep the pipe the same diameter to the opening, the 180 bend wouldn't matter at all. If it were a fluid it would matter more. I used to do a lot of free diving, no scuba tank, and I've used many different types of dry snorkels. Some looked like they'd choke the life out of me but there was virtually no restriction in breathing.

Merry Christmas

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good point on the transmission. Will have to check it closely.
Why would it not make sense to move the entire filter to the top ? Pepr, why would it not be a closed system if piped directly to the top ? I go through streams since the dnr is so picky about permits and specs. At this point the water is less than a foot deep but I still like the idea of a sealed unit far above the affected area. It would not be in the way of any cargo I carry.

Hi Agent, I don't want the high mount because of the work I do and I don't want to block my rear vision in any way. I have to travel down the road a bit and need full view, lots of limbs /backing up into etc.. and it would be in the way when I have to crawl on the roof to trim limbs. If I didn't do these things, I would like one. bordercollie

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Two gins has a buddy who runs his rtv in wster over the drivers sest maybe twogund can post some pics.i know on my rhino i extended all my fuel tank vent lines an both my diferential vent lines as for as the oil dipstick i just lefter it like it was an to this day i have yet to get any water in anyplace it dont belong.i run my rfino in water ovr the top of the bed an sometimes deeper.its set up to run flat in 48" of water an if i raise the front i ca go through at leadt almist 6'.just make sure all conections are sealed with sylicon an if you can raise the air breather.i didntt have the luck of relocating the air breather so i sealed it with a bead of sylicon.theres nuthing funner than runnin in water up to you chest while sitting down in the seat.

Cliff69

I ordered that snorkel on Ebay. After I install I will post a picture. And the top has a screen for junk and bugs.

Cliff