RTV900 Exhaust Spark Arrestor Time Frame

Peter James

I have a 2010 RTV900 with the internal spark arrestor on the end of the tail pipe the is removed by undoing the two socket head screws. The early models had the screen on the end of the tail pipe and the later ones had the internal ones that were cleaned by undoing the bolt on the bottom. What was the time frame for each of the spark arrestor types?

I just took the one out on mine and I don't think it have been cleaned recently as the bolts were seized and one broke off. I got the broken piece out and after I cleaned the screen, ran a tap through the threads in the muffle, installed the tailpipe with new bolts coated with Nevr-Seize. It looks like a 5 minute job now to clean the screen and replace it and I plan to do it on a regular basis.
Peter

Last edited:

FTG-05

My 2006 has the two socket head cap screws. According to the previous owner, he had deleted the spark arrestor. In a hunch, trying to diagnose my loss of power going up hills, I took the back end of the muffler and lo and behold - the spark arrestor was not only still installed but completely plugged up. I used my metal cutoff saw to delete it.

The downside is that it apparently didn't make any difference whatsoever on my loss of power issue. :(

Peter James

When you cut off the spark arrestor, you removed part of the structure stat stabilizes the tailpipe and now the end of the muffler is subject to cracking from vibration. the spark arrestor end goes into a receiver hole inside the muffler and that braces it.

Peter