RTV9 ride too rough?

mardyn

Is there any way to soften up the suspension a bit on the RTV9? Mine rides like a damn log wagon and after 250 hours, I'm tired of it.</p>

I've thought about removing one of the spring leaves on each side, but I'm looking for other ideas as well.</p>

Anybody have any suggestions?</p>

btw.. I'm thinking about one of those coast valve kits too... unless somebody has figured out how to bypas the dynamic braking otherwise.</p>

Talk to me.
</p>

mardyn</p>

</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tell us about your riding conditions.

What tires are you running?

Some of your options (e.g. removing a leaf spring) will affect your payload capability. What are your payload requirements?

The first thing I'd propose is to lower the air pressure in the tires. What PSI do you have now?

As with my truck, I find that adding some weight makes the ride more civilized.

G

<P mce_keep="true">It would also be good to know what options you have. If you've got a windshield there is a good chance the dealer may have swapped out the stock struts for heavier ones to compensate for the weight. You could try switcheding back to the old struts if thats the case. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">Neil</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I agree with bczoom, the RTV we use, come with the ATV tires, and they were ruff as hell, I let some air out, and made it so much better, But what really don't the trick, was when I purchased the new tires for the winter months. They smoothed the ride much >>>></P>

But, fixin' to swap my tires back out to the OEM_ATV's for the warmer months ( off deer season ) , but will not put as much pressure in them to keep the " bumps " at a minimum ....</P>

The machines are built like a rock, they are going to ride a lttle ruffer than some off-road vehicles, just because the way they are built, to work !!!</P>

<FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=4> ~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></P>

<P mce_keep="true">If you go to U-Tube and watch some of the ATV Videos you will see vehicles that flip on their sides from bouncing over rough terrain. The suspension on the RTV may ride a little firmer but it sure is safer in preventing roll overs. I was amazed when watching one of the ATV just roll over going over some rocks at a very low speed, it just bounced and rolled right over on it's side. I will take the solid ride.</P>

mardyn

Currently running about 12 psi tire pressure, most use is out in my pasture which is a bit rough. Our RTVs are an absolute work horse, no doubt about it... but it just doesn't need to be so stiff for my application.</p>

Taller tires at lower pressure would improve the spring rate some, but that's big money, especially when my tires are in excellent condition now... I might try dropping the tires down to about 5 psi. </p>

mardyn</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Dropping the tire pressure down 3-4 lbs will make much difference..... Just go down alittle by little, and try it, and keep going to you feel comfortable. >>>>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="TWO GUNS"]Dropping the tire pressure down 3-4 lbs will make much difference..... Just go down alittle by little, and try it, and keep going to you feel comfortable. >>>>[/quote]</p>

Just be careful about under-inflation. You don't want to spin the rubber off the rim.</p>

I'm going to say that a lot of what you're experiencing is the nature of the beast. You bought/run a work-horse. It's like asking a Caterpillar to ride like a Cadillac.</p>

</p>

mardyn

[quote user="bczoom"]</p>

I'm going to say that a lot of what you're experiencing is the nature of the beast. You bought/run a work-horse. It's like asking a Caterpillar to ride like a Cadillac.</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

I think you may have hit the nail on the head...</p>

MRBASS

<P mce_keep="true">Lowering the air pressure will make a huge difference in the harshness of the ride.. I settled at 10psi on Mine.</P>
<P mce_keep="true">Put my hitch feeder on yesterday and with the feeder full with 200lbs of corn i bumped the pressure up to 15psi.. Really makes the RTV ride Smooth with 200lbs hanging off the hitch too..!!</P>