RTV Facts/Fiction...

mstordahl

First off, just want to say hi to everyone on here as I am new, seems to be a very friendly forum and I like it. I have noticed since I started looking on this forum a lot of wrong information and a lot of grey area for a lot of people and wanted to try to help and use my knowledge to help some others and better their experiences with the product. I am going to put together a list of things about the rtvs that seem to be common issues that do not need to be. If a dealer or a tech really cares about the problem, you would not have any of these issues. So here they are:

rtv 500:
Power on these units is not nearly as bad as many have been told or experienced. No, they are not a rhino or a razer, but they will work hard and have a lot of torque. All of the power issues that I have ran into so far have been easy to fix with <acronym title="Revolutions Per Minute">rpm</acronym> and <acronym title="Hydrostatic Transmission">hst</acronym> servo adjustments.
Shifting should also not be an issue. When stopped to shift, with the brake pedal firmly pressed and fully stopped, the transmission will shift smooth and easy. Also, the <acronym title="Hydrostatic Transmission">hst</acronym> should never bog the motor out, and dont ever let ANYONE tell you that ANY rtv you need to back out of the pedal to get up hills and keep from bogging out the motor. This is plain and outright wrong, false and ignorant. The <acronym title="Hydrostatic Transmission">hst</acronym> on ALL the rtv's is designed to keep the motor in its powerband and act much like a belt drive cvt, not a tractor <acronym title="Hydrostatic Transmission">hst</acronym>. If it bogs out, get it adjusted, or ask for some help on adjusting it, I will gladly help.

rvt 900, 1100, 1140:
Power on these is the same issue as the 500, sometimes <acronym title="Revolutions Per Minute">rpm</acronym> is to low, but mostly it is just the <acronym title="Hydrostatic Transmission">hst</acronym> servo needs some tweaking. Like I said above, if it doesnt act as designed, have it adjusted. Same servo on all the rtv <acronym title="Hydrostatic Transmission">hst</acronym>'s to adjust how aggressive the trans is.
Shifting is aso not an issue if operated correctly and the <acronym title="Hydrostatic Transmission">hst</acronym>, cables and dump valve are adjusted properly. If a unit does not shift when completely stopped with the foot firmly on the brake pedal after a 2 second count, something needs adjustment or repair. Most of the time a little patience and some knowledge on how to shift properly makes all the difference.
Holdback being too agressive can also be tailored to individual persons. I always have customers test them when they buy a unit and adjust it according to how much retarding power they want. It is a quick and easy adjustment again, if you know what you are doing, and makes the machine a lot more enjoyable to use for some.

I want more than anything to have everyone know that these machines are much better than the reputation that they have been given, and that some simple and easy fixes (mostly free) can make them everything that they were promised and designed to be. If there is anything that I have missed, let it be added, and others opinions are always welcome to me. I will try my best to help anyone with a problem on these machines, just ask.

Thanks, Matt</p>

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Matt.........</p>

First of all, welcome aboard. I read your posts over in tractor by net and applied the brake a bit more when shifting. It works. Yes, though not perfect MUCH better. It really is a shame to have issues with these machines; but FINALLY we have a tech on board to help with these same issues. </p>

This caring/craftsmanlike attitude, unfortunately, is not prevalent now adays and is really most welcomed. A couple of questions: where are you located and should your knowledge base be "common knowledge" at MY dealer. </p>

Thanks for YOUR help and God bless..........Dennis</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Matt!!! Glad you joined us.</p>

This statement in particular, I need to digest more or get further clarification.</p>

"Also, the hst should never bog the motor out, and dont ever let ANYONE
tell you that ANY rtv you need to back out of the pedal to get up hills
and keep from bogging out the motor. This is plain and outright wrong,
false and ignorant. The hst on ALL the rtv's is designed to keep the
motor in its powerband and act much like a belt drive cvt, not a
tractor hst. If it bogs out, get it adjusted, or ask for some help on
adjusting it, I will gladly help."</p>

I can bog it down when climbing a steep hill pretty easily. If I back off the pedal 1/2 way when it does bog down, my RPM's and power come way back up. It has always been my understanding that there's an aux or secondary pump in the tranny that kicks in during this situation. I can't find it but I thought we had a diagram of it somewhere around here.</p>

mstordahl

I apreciate the kind comments. I am located in British Columbia in Canada. I do know that Kubota Canada is a totally different company than Kubota US, so some things might be different, but the machines are the same. My knowledge is probably not that common, but if a tech really cares and takes the time to learn the machine, they will not have an issue fixing any of your problems.</p>

A bog down issue, especially after a track install is as simple as adjusting the hst servo to be less aggressive. I will attach a picture of the servo valve, and what screw you need to adjust. </p>

mstordahl

bczoom, if your machine bogs on a hill and you have to back out of the throttle to keep your speed and power up, the servo valve needs adjusting. The hst on an rtv is not like a tractor that you have a direct link to the pump output, but a load sensing valve (servo) that sees what you want from the transmission (throttle input) as well as hst pressure (load). This gives the hst in the rtv's a"smart" feel, as you do not have to back out of the throttle as load comes on, much like a belt drive cvt on a quad or snowmobile. The servo valve has an adjusting screw that changes the spring pressure that the piston with hst pressure has to push against to get drive. In short, the screw changes how "aggressive" the transmission acts. A simple adjustment to this will make it act as it should and you will never have to back out of the pedal again to maintain speed. The worst part is that when you back out of the pedal on an rtv, it also relases the throttle on the machine, so you are loosing engine power at the same time you are downshifting the trans.</p>

You are right, there is an assist motor inside the transmission that comes on at about 1100 psi hst pressure. This motor takes away a bunch of flow from the hst main drive motor, which causes the machine to slow a bit, but doubles the torque to the ground. This is why a properly set up rtv will not go that fast with a load on it, but will dig itself to china if you want it to with all 4 tires.</p>

Matt</p>

mike1234

[quote user="mstordahl"]A bog down issue, especially after a track install is as simple as adjusting the hst servo to be less aggressive. I will attach a picture of the servo valve, and what screw you need to adjust.[/quote]</p>

Good to know this. I love my 500, the ONLY complaint is that it bogs down up hills (well I wish it had bucket seats, but ...). Could you post that pic, maybe a diagram of where to find it, that would be great.</p>

Thanks.</p>

Onfoot

First of all, let me add my welcome to the Forum, Matt. Really good to have you on board--and another Canadian to boot! (I am in Whitehorse, Yukon, a bit north of you...). </p>

Secondly, thank you very much for your helpful input. I would love to see the diagram about adjustments that can ensure that shifting works as well as it should. I notice that mine (2008 with about 70 hours) seems to be harder to shift since having the 50 hour maintanence--a nuisance when I am needing to shift often between L and R doing plowing and etc.</p>

That said, I do love the machine!</p>

dcdtn

Matt,</p>

My brother got an 1140, and I recently got a chance to check it out for an hour or so on the farm. I really like the machine, but according to your post it sounds like there may be something wrong with it. When driving in high up a moderately steep hill it would bog down... the engine was running but the machine was not moving. Had to down shift to get up the hill. Also, when drivingup a slight incline, max speed was about 15 mph. Does it sound like his machine needs adjustment?</p>

Thanks, David</p>

</p>