rtv 900 broken muffler

Steveintn

see the picture.... do you think the muffler repair puddy would help or remove and take to a repair shop.
thanks steve

Attachments

• rtv 900 broken muffler.jpg
    rtv 900 broken muffler.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 253

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
That's a high stress area, I'd weld it. Putty will only make it hard to repair later when it fails.

Bob

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Be sure to torque the bolts evenly when putting it back on or the manifold may crack when it gets hot. :tiphat: bordercollie
edit.. I could be wrong but think my muffler nut/bolt torque was 20 ftlbs .. check that to be sure..

Last edited:

Art454

I would also weld a bracket on it also so it does not break again. Looks like you have plenty of room to weld a bracket to the flange that bolts to the manifold.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
WELD IT.....did I say WELD it....The same exact break happened to me TWICE....The first time, the fella didn't line it up well, spot welded/tacked it a few times rather than run a bead, and it broke maybe 500 or 600 hours later. This last time, took it to a precision machinist/welder who did it properly and it has held for close to 1000 hours now.....Make sure when you put it back on that you don't stress it or try to twist it to make it fit....That will cause a fracture back at the muffler...........WELD IT.......God bless...Dennis

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Wow! I was going to start a new thread tonight, but found this! I JUST got my RTV X900 back after a month because of the same problem - but worse! I have 240 hours and 1148 miles on it and my machine had the exhaust b pipe break from the exhaust manifold flange just like yours! I called the dealer (my machine is only 7 months old) and told them that it looks like the exhaust pipe is only press fitted into the flange and it has failed. Two days later I had to park the machine because the cast flange (aluminum) of the transmission that supports the forward muffler bracket fatigued and broke!
Kubota first balked at accepting that it is a design flaw and said I must have backed into something. I couldn't believe it- no damage to the rear most muffler bracket or tailpipe!
Fortunately my dealer had kept my email messages and with the no evidence of rear damage they finally agreed to weld the forward muffler bracket and then welded the exhaust pipe to the flange as should have been done originally. When the dealer dropped the machine off I said that I bet that Kubota will have more trouble with this exhaust problem.

Steveintn

yes,
I removed the muffler and had the joint welded. when I went to install the muffler it was slightly off. so I cut the muffler pipe 3-4 inches before the muffler and bolted on the parts. then I had the joint spot welded so I could remove it and stay in perfect alignment. then the permanent weld was done. it fits like a glove. I hope it is a long term fix.

Attachments

• muffler weld.JPG
    muffler weld.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 158

Art454

Wow! I was going to start a new thread tonight, but found this! I JUST got my RTV X900 back after a month because of the same problem - but worse! I have 240 hours and 1148 miles on it and my machine had the exhaust b pipe break from the exhaust manifold flange just like yours! I called the dealer (my machine is only 7 months old) and told them that it looks like the exhaust pipe is only press fitted into the flange and it has failed. Two days later I had to park the machine because the cast flange (aluminum) of the transmission that supports the forward muffler bracket fatigued and broke!
Kubota first balked at accepting that it is a design flaw and said I must have backed into something. I couldn't believe it- no damage to the rear most muffler bracket or tailpipe!
Fortunately my dealer had kept my email messages and with the no evidence of rear damage they finally agreed to weld the forward muffler bracket and then welded the exhaust pipe to the flange as should have been done originally. When the dealer dropped the machine off I said that I bet that Kubota will have more trouble with this exhaust problem.

So KUBOTA would really not warranty it? So the dealer just fixed it and ate it huh?. The Warranty from Kubota for the price you paid really turns me off on KUBOTA. I may never buy a KUBOTA again as this is just plain stupid by KUBOTA IMO. Looks like they don't give a dam after you buy there product.
Very bad BUSINESS POLICY IMO. The warranty should be 3 years or so many hours as much as they charge for there stuff and parts.
You buy a car for the price of what KUBOTA sells some of there stuff. You would think you could get 3 years or 36,000 miles plus 5 years on engine and driveline
KUBOTA needs to come up with better warranty....why I bought my zero turn from John DEERE. 4 years and 400 or 500 hours I believe. Used it once after 2 years...this year as a matter of fact.... as the drive belt came off wreck 2 pulleys plus belt cost me nothing.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Kubota did finally cover the repair. The repair consisted of aluminum welding the bracket on the transmission and the weld at the manifold flange. The dealer very nicely was going to cover it - the fellow I deal with is really helpful. Although the repair cost Kubota a lot less than replacing the transmission housing, it did mean I got my machine back a lot sooner and I suspect it will last.

Art454

Kubota did finally cover the repair. The repair consisted of aluminum welding the bracket on the transmission and the weld at the manifold flange. The dealer very nicely was going to cover it - the fellow I deal with is really helpful. Although the repair cost Kubota a lot less than replacing the transmission housing, it did mean I got my machine back a lot sooner and I suspect it will last.

That's one hell of a LOW BALL fix by Kubota.....Hope they gave you a extended warranty for that chit fix....the weld brake on the trans side fix what you going to do? They should have just replace the muffler and really the trany side...but am not that familiar with the new model....look at them is all.
I even wonder if Kubota even warranty it and the dealer fix it cause it was so much hassel the dealer thought it be faster to fix it themselves.

10-e-c-dirt

Has anyone else had this problem? This AM, yes Thanksgiving, I noticed a loud vibration as I was closing a gate seemed to be coming from muffler, had gloves on grabbed tail pipe, No Vib, got quite, raised bed, exhaust pipe broken from the exhaust manifold flange, I couldn't see any cracks in the cast flange of the transmission, I will remove heat shields, and inspect closer later..
BTW it a X900, 385 Hrs, 3600 or so miles,
No Warranty!:unhappy:

Mark.Sibole

wire welding it is the best option.You can also braze it.I personally would go a step further and see if there is a way to make and install a stabilizer bracket to re enforce it.You can not live life with out a welder IMO.

10-e-c-dirt

wire welding it is the best option.You can also braze it.I personally would go a step further and see if there is a way to make and install a stabilizer bracket to re enforce it.You can not live life with out a welder IMO.

I've got a MIG, but would a TIG be stronger???

10-e-c-dirt

Took the muffler off, pipe is completely broken into at the flange, with a thumb nail size piece of metal gone, I checked online parts catalog, the muffler # for a X900 has been superseded 2 times, Mmmm , Is Kubota trying fix this problem, I'm wondering should I just replace the old muffler with the newest part number Or weld up the old which may fix it for a while and hope it doesn't crack the transmission case like it did on BiffNH's X900..
confused and dazed in 10EC..:bonk:

Mark.Sibole

:gotsmoney::gotsmoney::gotsmoney:Mig or tig either or.Even if its crached in half with a piece missing a mig or tig can fix it and save you a load of money..

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
10-e-c dirt, my weld has held well, but there is no doubt that Kubota has had a problem with this. Make sure you get it repaired or replaced soon, so it doesn't vibrate the transmission mount - it only took an hour or so of operating with the broken flange to break mine! GOOD Luck!!