rtv 1100 engine problem

crescent wrench

i have a rtv 1100 with 6500 hrs.we have never touched the engine on it.but last december it developed a tick or a slight knock.still ran and we still used it but last month or so it got worse.it wouldnt start that good especially when standing outside.it would also smoke alot when loading the engine a little bit.i pulled the exhaust manifold off and saw it smoked out of cyl no.1 near the cab.thinking an injector had failed I ordered one and put it back together and continued using it.anyway a week ago my dad was using it and he tried to shut it off and it wouldn't and was smoking heavily at idle.he had to plug off air filter.also doesnt have any kind of power.have since replaced injector to no avail.what now? have noticed some blowby when unscrewing fill cap off of valve cover.doesnt use any oil either.any ideas? thanks.

v10rick

Site Supporter
Do a compression test, outlined in the checking and adjusting section of the WSM.

The gauge, glow plug hole adapter, is available on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Could be a cracked head or broken ring.

That's a lot of hours, for an untouched Kubota diesel engine.

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
In some industrial applications these engines run for tens of thousands of hours. However the 1100 series is bad for cracking heads because of the insufficient cooling system. I'll bet your head is cracked and the engine was running on oil. Your lucky it didn't run away!

crescent wrench

so it turns out the injection pump is shot.i took it apart and saw that the little round tab that controls fuel rate on the first piston that sends fuel to injector...(i think im saying this correctly) was broken and was always sending fuel to injector and therefore the shut off solenoid had no control over that piston.