New owner of RTV 1100

Had the 1100 about a month now and had to become a part of this GREAT forum. I used the forum prior to making the purchase and now enjoy all the information available on this site. This is a good cross section of people from all over and offers much about the Kubota RTV. </P>

I am now "babydolling" my 1100 up. I live on a farm in southern Illinois right on the Ohio River and have some great riding areas right out our front door. </P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on your new RTV and welcome to the forum!!!

What are you doing as it relates to "babydolling"?

It's only been a month, but do you have a name for it yet?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
/cs/Themes/default/images/user_IsOffline.gif Nick-America ,</P>

Climb in and hang on !!! Welcome toourworld of RTV's, welcome to the forum !!!</P>

Stay tuned in here, for everything that you are taught here, you can bring it to the bank. Most information is from folks who has hands on experiance. Pay attention, for they know their stuff, and are some super folks !!!</P>

Enjoy your new machine, and stay safe ~~~~~ </P>

[:O]</P>

</P>

</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Go ahead and keep " babydolling" your unit, for the truth to be known, we all do it.Know I do all the time..... </P>

We run ours on our plantation & farms down here, and nothing more beautiful than a RTV, shined up, glowing, with a happy operator in the cab. Now that you made that big step owning a Kubota RTV, now is the time to start installing all the accessories on it. Stroll on down threw the threads on this forum, you can find all the information you need from what to add on your unit, what needs to be added for the protection of your unit & engine, how to take care of your RTV, and what makes 'em pretty !!! Also threads here show how to properly operate the " two stage " hydro-transmission the machines have..... IT'S ALL HERE !!!!</P>

No name yet.</P>

Babydolling:</P>

1. <LI>Warn RT 30 winch/cover</LI>
    <LI>Mounted spare tire on front guard above the winch</LI>
    <LI>High-position air intake kit</LI>
    <LI>Rear utility screen</LI>
    <LI>Radio/cd player</LI>
    <LI>Sirrius radio</LI>
    <LI>Sunvisors</LI>
    <LI>Tail light guards which incorporatesrear mud flaps-my design</LI>
    <LI>Front mud flaps-my design</LI>
    <LI>Mini west coast mirrors, fold back when necessary</LI>
    <LI>Removing the stock rubber floor mat and after modifing the steel cover over the hydraulic and electrical lines will have a rhino liner sprayed over the entirefloorareaand still be able to access the hoses and lines under the plate</LI>
    <LI>Building a light bar that will fold down by pulling two pins when clearance is a issue-mounted on the barare the strobe light, 3 KC HiLite Daylighters Off Road 130 watt lights-two forward and one back,Go Light Stryker 3049 which has two remote controllers</LI>
    <LI>Gun racks</LI>
    <LI>Pistolholder on the drivers door</LI>

All items ordered were black. I am sure there will be more things later.</P>

I bought the RTV 1100 with the Premium Grand cab in Realtree Hardwood Camo. I live about two miles from CamoClad's plant and plan on putting RealTree Hardwood on all the added items where possible-back of lights, light bar etc...</P>

I am a retired engineer and still farm-corn and soybeans. Crops are out and time to play. I guess "babydolling" things up is a hobby of mine.</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Nick-America"]
  1. Warn RT 30 winch/cover
  2. Mounted spare tire on front guard above the winch
  3. High-position air intake kit
  4. Rear utility screen
  5. Radio/cd player
  6. Sirrius radio
  7. Sunvisors
  8. Tail light guards which incorporatesrear mud flaps-my design
  9. Front mud flaps-my design
  10. Mini west coast mirrors, fold back when necessary
  11. Removing the stock rubber floor mat and after modifing the steel cover over the hydraulic and electrical lines will have a rhino liner sprayed over the entirefloorareaand still be able to access the hoses and lines under the plate
  12. Building a light bar that will fold down by pulling two pins when clearance is a issue-mounted on the barare the strobe light, 3 KC HiLite Daylighters Off Road 130 watt lights-two forward and one back,Go Light Stryker 3049 which has two remote controllers
  13. Gun racks
  14. Pistolholder on the drivers door
[/quote]
So... Tell us. What are you going to do (install) after lunch? [:D]

Just kidding. Sounds like you're going to have it pretty well set to go. Can/will you post pics as it progresses (and when completed). Especially the custom stuff.

A couple thoughts/questions.
What are you getting into where you may need a spare? With the 6-ply tires and Slime inside, I don't recall many actually having to change a tire.
I didn't care for the OEM horn so I put in some airhorns. It's about the only thing not on your list.
Any plans for more storage?
Are you getting a wireless FOB with/for your winch? Are you going to use steel cable or AmSteel rope?

doggman

Hey Nick-America,</P>

I know right where CamoClad is located. You're in a beautiful part of IL. In an earlier lifetime I wasa port engineer so I felt like I lived in Cairo much of the time. </P>

You're going to need some good mud tires down there. The guys on this site have a pretty good handle on running gear for the mud so don't be shy about asking. </P>

I got mine stuck for the first time in 2 years last week. I had a front and rear tire punch through the deck (at the same time) over a muskrat lodge and landed on the frame. I'm lucky the whole thing didn't get swallowed. (My knees and the dash wished I had my belt on even going dead slow.) I was out after a mile walk to get the 4WD L4310 out of the shed. Needless to say I'm going to do a little pre-deer season targetpracticewith varmits this weekend. </P>

Have fun! </P>

bc: I am taking photos of what mods I am doing. The dealer I bought mine from wasn't installing the wired remote that comes with the Warn RT 30 winch because the winch kit doesn't provide a bracket to hold the plug in recepticle. I installed my winch and made a bracket that bolts in the middle of the dash. The wired remote is long enough to open the door and get about anywhere you want to see what is happening when winching it out. The permanent switch installs under the dash left of the steering wheel.</P>

We ride a lot on the Ohio River bank and there are a lot of sharp items you can run over-boards/nails or spikes, a lot of any kind of old steel items, probably a glass bottle bottom wouldn't cut the tire. I just feel safer with a spare with me. We can go a long ways and most places accessable only with a four wheeler-and I don't mean a truck. I have two pieces 100 foot long of 9/17 1/4 cable with eyes on both ends and a nylon tree strap incase I am a long ways from anything. I am trying to come up with a means to pull myself out backwards. Looking at adding two pulleys or one large pulleyat the end of atube that would fit into the front trailer hitch receiver to put less downward strain on the winch lower rollerwhen I reverse the cable to the back under the frame. The bottom of the frame under the original hitch would be reinforced so as not to bend the frame. There will be quite a bit of force but I believe the two vertical or one large pulley would work like a forward pull at the top and a backward pull at the bottom-desired results pull RTV backwards. Of course I would leave a piece of cable under the frame to pull the winch cable backwards if ever needed sinceit would be difficult after the fact. We will see how that comes along, may wish I hadn't done it, if it doesn't work and I tear up something, just steel could be welded back...but would be neat if it works. </P>

Air horn-great idea-that goes in the list of things to add. </P>

Haven't really thought about additional storage yet.</P>

Didn't mean to ramble so much, I just get started and enjoy doing these things.</P>

doggman:I live due east of CamoClad at America, Illinois. The America bar is right in front of our house. Sorry guys, that is a gravel bar in the Ohio River.</P>

We can get in some trickey places on the river bank. There are some places where ground water comes out of the bank and crawdads don't get there. You can really get stuck in them. Sounds like you found the mother hole when you got stuck. Still not bad for two years though and had a Kubota to pull you out. I have a couple myself-great tractors-the last one is 105hp and a 22 hp about eighteen years old and I believe as good as when I bought it.</P>

You are right about the seat belt. We never wear our except when extremely rough but your's was a surprise and probably didn't see it coming either.</P>

CamoClad is doing well here. They moved down here to be closer to"hunting areas " and the south, as thereare a lotoffolks that like to get on the interstate and head totheir place of business. Joe is a good friend of mine and a great guy. If you ever get this way again give me a call and I will meet you if you can't find America.</P>

Again sorry for the long winded post. </P>

Have fun-be careful-we are!</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad you're taking pics. Looking forward to seeing them.

[quote user="Nick-America"]We ride a lot on the Ohio River bank and there are a lot of sharp items you can run over-boards/nails or spikes, a lot of any kind of old steel items, probably a glass bottle bottom wouldn't cut the tire. I just feel safer with a spare with me. We can go a long ways and most places accessable only with a four wheeler-and I don't mean a truck. I have two pieces 100 foot long of 9/17 1/4 cable with eyes on both ends and a nylon tree strap incase I am a long ways from anything. I am trying to come up with a means to pull myself out backwards. Looking at adding two pulleys or one large pulleyat the end of atube that would fit into the front trailer hitch receiver to put less downward strain on the winch lower rollerwhen I reverse the cable to the back under the frame. The bottom of the frame under the original hitch would be reinforced so as not to bend the frame. There will be quite a bit of force but I believe the two vertical or one large pulley would work like a forward pull at the top and a backward pull at the bottom-desired results pull RTV backwards. Of course I would leave a piece of cable under the frame to pull the winch cable backwards if ever needed sinceit would be difficult after the fact. We will see how that comes along, may wish I hadn't done it, if it doesn't work and I tear up something, just steel could be welded back...but would be neat if it works.[/quote]
OK, I only had a couple beers but I couldn't read that verbatim more than once. I think I know what you're saying though as I put the same through my head in the past.
A couple thoughts.
It sounds like your winch is already mounted but there are what's called "multi-mount" setups that allow you to mount the winch to either the front or rear. Normally, the mount is to the front and rear receiver.
An option for you to consider is getting another winch for the rear. You wouldn't need a Warn or Ramsey, but for a decent price you could get a winch that you could slide in the rear receiver and get yourself out in a pinch.

[quote user="Nick-America"]Haven't really thought about additional storage yet.[/quote]
Think about it more... (or at least save some space for it). Anything from gloves to tow straps need a place to live.

For tires, what did you get put on? Tires/traction is probably the biggest factor that'll determine your RTV's performance. TWO GUNS runs 589's which will get you through anything (but are hard on the yard), I run Maxxis Bighorns that are an all-terrain type, others run 489's, OEM ATV, OEM HDWS... Spend some time considering what's best for you based on where you're RTV's going to be. PS... Sand is a bitch and a tough one to figure out for tires.

bc: As you can tell, I am not the best at putting thoughts into words. I know what I want to do and basically how I am going to get there-words are a different matter. Sorry, I read it several times and changed the wording several times before posting and still confusing as to what I am attempting to say. I didn't have a couple of beers but did have<U>several</U> Capt. Morgans and coke-I'll plead that for writting that way. </P>

I mounted the winch and everything else, even though it was part of the deal on the rig for the dealer to install everything. I mounted it because he wasn't installing the hard wired remote outlet-no bracket. Also, I like to know how thingsare put together. I also got the shop service manual and parts book. I do this with every piece of equipment I buy. The parts book is a good resource for a lot of things besides part numbers. I am 67 years old, retired and have a good shop, and enjoy doing these things. I"babydoll" everything.</P>

The winch wiring runs all over this RTV, not complicated but have to remove several things to wire. A separate winch for the rear would certainly be easier, but what I am looking at doing doesn't seem to difficult to do and I don't know anyone that does it that way-but then it must work to be fun.</P>

Kubota seems to have built this with "fluff" in mind-very plush cab-but lacking in several needed things. I wish the back window would slide and may look at that. Easier to reach what is in the bed without stopping. No room on the dash either for much of anything else. Storage is definately short but by the same token dry storage is a lot more than anything else I know of out there. We will work on that. The bench seat does have some trays under it that are handy. With the lights I am going to have I am looking for some place to put an Optima battery. Any kind of that type would work but already have two in the boat and am pleased with them. If I did that would mount a marine charger and just plug it in at night. </P>

I just have the stock tires R 440 Mag Off Road-front 25x10-12 NHS, 6 ply and rear 25x11-12 NHS, 6 ply. Do you have yours raised and are you using the same rims? I have a lot to learn about tires and everything else. This is the first off road unit I have had. We boat quite a bit but never this. My wife and I really enjoy it and ride often. Looking forward to this winter too. I guess tires depend on what you ride on the majority of time. We ride on a lot of different types of surfaces and have thousands of National Forest close by with many trails in them-mostly delineated though. So far these tireshave worked fairly well.</P>

I hope I am not posting too much. This is a very interesting forum and really enjoy it.</P>

Have fun-be safe-we are</P>

</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Keep a " babydolling " it. </P>

I'm enjoying reading these post !!! </P>

Dying to find out what tires your fixin' to install !!!</P>

SAND IS NOT GOODon anything, especiallyequipment ...Will eat everything up !!! </P>

When my battery ever goes out on my RTV, I also, plan on installing a Optima Marine , heard some great stories on these batteries ~~~</P>

Nick-America, your not posting to much, we are enjoying reading everything your doing, we all learn from each other !!!!</P>

[Y]</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Nick-America"]I am looking for some place to put an Optima battery.[/quote]
I've thought about an additional battery but found that <u>replacing</u> the OEM with a deep-cycle marine battery works fine.

[quote user="Nick-America"]So far these tireshave worked fairly well.[/quote]
Glad to hear. If they're working, I'd keep them. I've just heard sand can be a bugger.

[quote user="Nick-America"]I hope I am not posting too much. This is a very interesting forum and really enjoy it. [/quote]
Not at all. Keep the posts coming. (and it sounds like you've made enough progress where pics should be coming with the posts.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome Nick America, I have been really busy on the farm or I would have responded sooner.{calving season}I just recentlybought a set of 27/9-12 front 27/11-12 rearMud lite XTR 's for my Hoss. {$400 delivered on ebay}It rides great and has a lot of deep tread .I didn't do a thing butreplace the 26" I had worn out. No lift no nothing.These are radials and look good mounted on bright wheels. That extra height looks nice too. They can really climb outofwet areas.I kept my stockmounted WS's for when I trade or sale in a year or 2 . And will keep the bright rims for the newbie.At 1700 hrs I tend to keep the pastures hot around here. I don't won't to think of life without an RTV .!! I intend to always budget for one but will have to stick to the 900 as I have to jump on and off fast to catch calves etc. No time for doors! I also like to feel the wind blow thru my hair and need to have the open air for my spray wand when I use the 25g 12 v sprayer for fence lines. Yes, It's a little loud and I envy you on that cab for that reason.But, since a lot of my work is outside anyway I just have to bear that cold wind in our southern winter.If I were up North ,it would be a different story.I saw an 1100 yesterday when I picked up some UDT. Wow! I couldnt bear to put it thru what I do the 900 just tooo good looking. That padded cab is cool or groovy or I guess the word according to my niece is "the bomb." That word had the opposite meaning when I was in school and meant dud ,well evidently not now. Plus I would just HAVE to park it under the carport {just built with a tornado room } And there's just not room. Too far to the barn so will just have to enjoy listening about fellow readers happiness with them.Enjoy yours and think of us 900'rs When you have the heater on..Bordercollie[&][&]

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<TABLE class=CAPageContent id=_ctl0__ctl1_bcr_PostForm___ComposePage style="DISPLAY: block; WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">
<DIV id=_ctl0__ctl1_bcr_PostForm___Reply>bordercollie</DIV>
<DIV> mister, you've have been busy, havn't heard from yours in awhile. Nice to hear your back. just like you, i have no time for doors, they would be nice at times, but mostly in my applications, they would just get in the way. wife says after the first, she's gettin' a 1100 series, but that's for her ! plan on installing a back plexi , or something, for them before dawn mornings. that breeze bit my neck & ears off the other morning going out into the cold, foggy swamps. But i'm not fussing, I LOVE MY RTV >>>> this is my first season with it, and this bugger is acreeping monsterin the mud. installed the itp 589's, m/s, 27" on mine, and they do ride better than stock. and they will pull like crazy in the mud. like a mad spider !!!!!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV> have a good day ~~~ & take care of 'em calves !!!!</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

bordercollie</P>

Thanks for the reply and information with your machine. When I get through with my mods I am going to put larger tires on mine. It is interesting on your other post-some potential concern about temp rise-with the new tires. The larger tires do look great and help ground clearance. All my friends, with other brand rigs, have larger tires and aluminun/polished rims. It is nice to know you have 1700 hours-any problems yet with the engine? I have a Kubota 2250 that is nearing nearing 19 years old and NO PROBLEMS period, great machine, no oil leaks or anything. I have no ideas how many hours but a lotare on it, the cable broke and I never replaced it a long time ago. </P>

Have to ask-I suppose you use the world's smartest dog/dogs in your business? I have always wanted one but we have always had small dogs in the house and fenced area. We live in an area that has a lot of coyotes and have been worried about them being a meal for the coyotes. The bordercollie is an amazing dog. It seems they need to be busy and are very active dogs.</P>

We do enjoy our 1100, but the doors come off fairly easy for use in the summer time. We bought our to use, as withall our other vehicles, not abused though. I know what you mean about getting out, it is inconvenient at times and also have to open the door to talk to someone. Our is kept in a building with our boat which is heated in the winter time. But, I can go start the 2250 on the coldest day and never failed to start without being plugged in. I don't expect any starting concerns with this rig either.</P>

You also mentioned something we want to build next summer and has been on our list for a while. A safe room for tornado protection. Our room will be attached to our house and accessed through a closet. A F5 came through our area in 2003 and made a believer of everyone in our area. </P>

We are very happy with our rig, but actually went to buy the 900. When my wife saw the 1100 with the cab, air and heat the search was over. We actually use ours for fun things since we both are retired, except for farming, and the other things that are a full time job. She is bothered with some sinus problems and the cab makes riding a lot less likely to bother her that way. The rides late on the river and no bugs, mosquitoes or dustis an advantage, as well as riding with a group which we do a lot. The Kubotas are certainly not the fastest around, but then they are more of work machines. At the end of the day/cabthere isno dustat all. </P>

Nick</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

jik

Will you tell me more about the stryher 3049, ie price, where to get. I am the new owner (1day). I was up at 0200 hrs this morning finding things to do on the farm with my rtv1100. I think I am a new man. LOL You are doing great fixing up your machine. Good work. Thank you</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Congrats on your knew RTV. It will make you a happy man. Where are you located ?</P>

You said you were looking for things to do with the unit. Throw your wife in and just ride her around, let her run the machine, make her part of it, that way, she can help you get all the accessories for the unit. That will help both of ya'll get used to the braking system & the two stage trannsmission. For sure, you need to find the thread on this subject, so you can get the max out of your machines power. It wasn't till I was told about this a month or so later, that I found out how to really get the power out of the unit, is to let off the fuel about half way, and that's when the second stage unit kicks in, and the true power shows up ~~~~~~</P>

Ya'll really going to enjoy, I can remember the pride when I got mine, and it's still there !!! That was in Feb, 2007, and really enjoyed fixin this thing up to hunt and do my deer management with ~~~</P>

jik:</P>

I bought the Golight Stryker model 3049 because it has two wireless remotes-one is a dashmount and the other is a hand-held. This light is a permanent mount that can be removed by removing one screw and sliding it forward on a base mount that stays in place (screws in place). The 3049 is just the black color, 3067-white and 3066-chrome. I paid $285.98 which included shipping and I might say some ofthe finest folks to deal with. otto@golight.us is the website, and located in Tenn.I did buy it off eBay from their website.I would just go to their website first and see what is on there.The golight website is www.golight.com. This will explain the different golights and I must say they are some fine lights as several will attest on this forum. I am through working on my light bar and are going to take it off and paint it, then wire it. It has 3 KC dayllighters-130 watt-two forward and one back, the golight and my strobe light on it. I am using the wiring in the ceiling that Kubota so graciously installed incase one wanted to install their worklights. Also, bought their switches that mount to the left of the steering wheel for the two KC lights forward and the one to the rear. The switches just plug in to theconnector already installed,when the two coverplates are snapped out and the switches then just snap into that place. I am installing a marine four toggle switch for the strobe and golight. These will be fused, and leave me two additional switches for future use. The reason I didn't go with Kubota lights is, too high for the lights in my opinion, afraid I would tear them off with a limb and I wanted a light bar I could fold back out of the way. If you need anything in the way of a parts diagram etc, I ordered and have the shop service manual and the parts book as well for the RTV1100. I will send them to you. I am going topost some photos of the lightbarafter I get it painted, it is no big deal but did take me a lot of time figuring just how I wanted it to work and look. First one is alway the easiest.</P>

Half of the fun, to me, of having any rig is modifing it to one own personal use. The RTV 1100 is a fine machine and I think you will be happy with it. I know I certainly am and my modifing it does not mean there is anything wrong with it-just some things I want to change.</P>

If I can help in any way let me know.</P>

Nick</P>

buy, modify,usually remodify,smile, be happy</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I also have the GoLight Stryker installed on my RTV 900, **** LOVE IT !!! Used it tonight coming out of the swamps. I use mostly the hand-held wireless while I drive, sweeping the light looking at my deer and many other animals in the dark >>>> I believe everyone could use one if they run their RTV's at night .... That memory switch on the other controller I have mounted in the top, really comes in handy also !!!</P>