Lift Kits

ATF

I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem that I am having with a lift kit? I t makes the front tires toe in and wear the outside of the tires. the top link I think needs to be brought in. I talked to the people I got it from Extreem they said they were working on something and havent heard back from them. I was thinking about cutting it apart and rewelding it back with an adjustment.</P>

thanks</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
The only thing I can come up with, for I havn't installed a lift yet, if Extreem doesn't have the courtesy to call you back. The h--- with them . Doesn't sound like they care about thier customers. Try to call a Kubota dealer and see if you can talk to one of thier machanics, meanwhile, maybe someone that has done this will read this and have the answer. Also, I will check out some of my sources and see what we can come up with. </P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ATF,

I don't mean to be critical but what you're seeing is a change in the camber, not the tow in.
Camber is the angle of the wheel (measured in degrees) when viewed from the front. If the top of the tire sticks out farther than the bottom, it's a positive camber (which is what you're experiencing).
Tow in is the measurement of the distance from the front of the tire and the same measurement at the rear of the tire. If the front is closer, you have a tow-in condition.

On the RTV, the tow in is adjustable by adjusting the tie rod. The tow in should be between 0 to about 3/4".
I don't believe the RTV nor many other modern vehicles have adjustments for camber (unless you get into bushings and such).
I have the lift kit and am seeing the same camber conditions you do. Honestly, I don't worry about it. I have not seen any unusual or related tire wear. If there was tire wear, I too may have a concern. Actually, if you look at several European sports cars (many Audi, Mercedes and BMW), you'll notice quite a negative camber, particularly on the rear wheels (for performance reasons). I've owned all 3 of the aforementioned vehicle manufacturers and have never encountered any tire wear issues related to the way the camber is set.
Also, my worries are squashed considering the amount of tread I have on the RTV tires vs. the life of the RTV. If you have 3000 hours on your RTV, you probably have about 30,000 miles (if you drive like I do). My tires/lugs on the RTV tires have a lot more rubber than a car tire so I'm expecting the tread to last at least that long. My guess is that I'll probably see dry-rot on the tires and need to replace far before I run out of tread.

ATF

I made a misstake with the term . ButI have 38 hrs on my rtv and the wear is noticeable after about 30 hrs with the lift. I alighned the front and it is going to have to change or i'll be buying tires before long. The tires showed worse on the rock roads on my deer lease in the hill country .

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's not good seeing tire wear like that. What tires are you using? If not specifically directional, I'd swap them to avoid further uneven wear.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, you got me thinking about this...

I went out and checked mine. For some reason, the camber doesn't seem as extreme as I recalled.

Here's a pic looking at the front end. It "appears" to have a slight positive camber. I put a framing square on the concrete and up the side of the tire. It's actually straight up thus (in this simple test) I have a 0 degree camber.

See the next post/pic for the tires.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's a close-up of the front tire.

Looking at the top coat of dust over the tire, it appears to be very close to running right up the center. It does seem it's riding slightly on the outside of the tire but not to a great degree.

ATF

My unit is a camo 2007 I see alot more tilt on the front of mine it is almost 1 inch out of level.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.

ATF - Did you ever hear back from Extreem?

I saw in the other thread you're getting rid of the lift kit.

It does seem (to me) that the lift kit doesn't like 25" tires and is causing wear. Everyone else that I can think of put on taller tires in conjunction with the lift kit.

outlaw 1100

I HAVE AN 07 1100 WITH A 2" LIFT INSTALLED AND 27" OUTLAW TIRES.I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY WEAR PROBLEMS.THE ALIGNMENT LOOKS GOOD ON MINE.</P>

ATF

no I didn't . I just figured that it's better to make the tires last than to worry about the lift I can cross anything i need without the lift . If i need more I'll get the honda rubicon out "it's easier to clean too".

G

[quote user="outlaw 1100"]

I HAVE AN 07 1100 WITH A 2" LIFT INSTALLED AND 27" OUTLAW TIRES.I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY WEAR PROBLEMS.THE ALIGNMENT LOOKS GOOD ON MINE.</P>

[/quote]</P>

We need some pictures of this! I don't think we've had anyone put a lift on an 1100 yet.</P>