got sand?

voyager

I just found this forum today and you have a lot of info. I use my RTV in my business (along with my L3130 and L5030). We build livestock fences in western Oregon. I've been thinking of taking the RTV to the sand dunes on the coast. Any experience or sugestions?

voyager

I just found this forum today and you have a lot of info. I use my RTV in my business (along with my L3130 and L5030). We build livestock fences in western Oregon. I've been thinking of taking the RTV to the sand dunes on the coast. Any experience or sugestions?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm,

I don't ride in sand but a couple things make me wonder.
Do you ride in the sand in other machines? What other machines do you see out there?
Where I'm going with this is I believe tire selection is important in sand (although I don't know what tires are best).
If the sand is loose, will the RTV have a tendency to sink since it weighs close to a ton?

Not sure where you're heading but if/when you do go for the first time, make sure you have enough "stuff" to get you out if needed. (other machines, winch(s), planks or whatever).

Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm,

I don't ride in sand but a couple things make me wonder.
Do you ride in the sand in other machines? What other machines do you see out there?
Where I'm going with this is I believe tire selection is important in sand (although I don't know what tires are best).
If the sand is loose, will the RTV have a tendency to sink since it weighs close to a ton?

Not sure where you're heading but if/when you do go for the first time, make sure you have enough "stuff" to get you out if needed. (other machines, winch(s), planks or whatever).

Brian

DRankin

I live on a sand dune, and frequent back-country areas with sandy places.

The heavy duty work place tires are virtually useless in sand. They just dig holes and then fall in. The factory turfs work much better in sand but they offerlittle ground clearance.

I have done extensive tests on tire traction..... which tires do you have?

DRankin

I live on a sand dune, and frequent back-country areas with sandy places.

The heavy duty work place tires are virtually useless in sand. They just dig holes and then fall in. The factory turfs work much better in sand but they offerlittle ground clearance.

I have done extensive tests on tire traction..... which tires do you have?

voyager

I have the stock work site tires. I figured I would have to lower the air pressure. The texture of the dunes varies with the time of year, firmer when wet soft when dry.

voyager

I have the stock work site tires. I figured I would have to lower the air pressure. The texture of the dunes varies with the time of year, firmer when wet soft when dry.

DRankin

It is hard to lower the pressure too much as the side walls on that tire are very stiff.

Another thing I found, at least at my altitude (5000 ft above sea level), that if the tires get too bogged down-- say about as deep as the bead-- they just won't turn anymore, especially in reverse.

The RTV, for several reasons, just does not produce enough power at the wheels to "throw a rooster tail" like some other designs. I have seen thisin both sand and deep snow.

I will be very interested to hear what your experiences are after your vacation.

Mark

DRankin

It is hard to lower the pressure too much as the side walls on that tire are very stiff.

Another thing I found, at least at my altitude (5000 ft above sea level), that if the tires get too bogged down-- say about as deep as the bead-- they just won't turn anymore, especially in reverse.

The RTV, for several reasons, just does not produce enough power at the wheels to "throw a rooster tail" like some other designs. I have seen thisin both sand and deep snow.

I will be very interested to hear what your experiences are after your vacation.

Mark