Engine Braking

rellis3640

We just had 2 new RTV900 worksite models delivered and one of the units after about 1 hour the engine braking stopped working. The unit just keeps going after letting off the gas pedal. Any ideas on where to look for the problem, i know the unit is still under warranty but it is a pain to have to load it up and drive the 45 miles to get it looked at.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is strange. It runs forward just fine when you push on the pedal but no resistance when you let off the peddle? First thing I would check would be fluid levels.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
...... and just might just be a setting on the adjustment backed off a little.

or just might be one of them fluid issues that change the fluid and filter. The fluid tract could have picked up a small particle and got into the plunger valve thing. Something left behind duing the production process. It can happen ....

Now, I can say, right before my last tranny fluid change, my engine brake didn't engage several times, maybe nine to thirteen times to be exact, sometimes it would, sometimes it would not. Anyway, after the fluid change, back to normal again ..... And like always, go back with OEM FLUIDS AND FILTERS, ..... Super UDT on the fluid >>>>

But being NEW, I would just let the Kubota dealership look at it ..... Make him change the fluid and filters out of HIS pocket !!!!!

............... two guns

Attachments

• squirrel_beer.gif
    squirrel_beer.gif
    92.1 KB · Views: 130

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Got to agree with two guns on the fluid/filter thing. Let the dealer eat that cost. It could end up being the coast/braking valve adjustment has backed off.

rellis3640

Thanks for the reply folks, I thought the same thing on fluid levels and checked those all seemed OK. After much research found the the check valve can be adjusted but had no idea where to look for it. I am searching now for shop manuals on these units as we now have four of these machines and need to know some of the mechanics on them. I understand that these come on CD from the dealerships. As well when they delivered these no manuals of any kind were included so as well have been searching for someplace online to get these.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Messicks sells the manual. Great people to deal with.

If you do a search on this forum for "Coast valve", somewhere in one of the more current threads, there's pictures and instructions on how to remove/inspect/adjust... the check valve in question. As I recall, the valve is in the very rear of the tranny, behind that cover above the hitch that protects the filter.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I have the coast valve install procedure in word format but the forum won't allow that big of a file. I could e-mail them to anyone that needs them. They have pretty clear pics with arrows pointing out what needs done. I have never had to adjust mine.

LETHAL GTS

We just had 2 new RTV900 worksite models delivered and one of the units after about 1 hour the engine braking stopped working. The unit just keeps going after letting off the gas pedal. Any ideas on where to look for the problem, i know the unit is still under warranty but it is a pain to have to load it up and drive the 45 miles to get it looked at.

Just to clarify a few things here.
They don't have engine brakes.
1. They hydro transmission slows the unit down when you let off of the foot throttle.
2. The new RTV's have been designed so that they will coast more than the older models in high range. That way they don't launch you from the seat when you let off like the older ones.
3. Have you looked under the seat for the owners manual? It just flips up and this is where the manuals are located from factory.
4. It sounds like it may need some adjustments either on the throttle/trans cables.

It is likely something in the linkage and you should have your dealer either come out and take a look at or take it in for them. Synchronizing everything can be kinda tricky.