coast valve

solitude

Hi
Just got on of those coast valves that they sell on E Bay.Boy it works great,they call it a coast valve
but it still brakes when foot comes off speed pedal
only not as bad.It's kind of like a car with automatic
transmission.Now I can let anyone drive it without fear of themgoing through windsheild!

solitude

Yea Matt
It only took about 30 minutes.The valve is located right under dump body hyd tank.It comes
with easy directions.It's pretty expensive but I think it was worth it. Pat

doggman

I was just checking to see if you're still happy with the coast valve? Ours has always had a really abrupt stop at the very last moment that is annoying. I thought it would get better but it hasn't.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
My dealer told me, that that engine brake can be disconnected where that INSTANT stopping will not happen..... He offered me that when I purchased my RTV, but he told me I would be back later to have it hooked back up..... Said that it takes some getting used to the " easy off the pedal thing ".</P>

He was right, now, don't even pay it no attention, can shut it down as easy as a helicopter >>>></P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> <FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>Two Guns </FONT></FONT></DIV>

solitude

Yes I'm still happy with the coast valve.It seems to work great! I really like the rtv but that braking
drove me nuts. Alright when I drove it but anyone else that wasn't used to it, It would scare people!
I tried slow stop lever but that didn't work.Two guns said his dealer could fix it so it would coast but my dealer hadn't heard of it. The coast valve still brakes some it's like a car now.But you use the brakes to stop it.Well worth the $150 As far as I'm concerned.
Just like a different machine now.
Pat

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Pat,</P>

Please don't take it wrong, if I was going to have multiple operators on the RTV, I would have mine disconnected, or a coast valve installed. I can very well see where some folks would like it. And yes, it's worth every nickel if that's what one needs .....</P>

I can remember the first time of operating a RTV, I like to threw myself over the front. Scared the hell out of me. Even got my wifes attention when I took her for the first ride. She come home with eyes like a 'ole hoot owl ...</P>

I asked my dealer, day of the purchase, about the braking on the machines. He made the statement that it took some practice. But if I would like it not have the braking system, he could fix it in just about five -ten minutes. But he told me about the practicing on the machine. And if I still didn't like it in a couple of weeks or so, feel free to return and they would make it go away....</P>

</P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> <FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>Two Guns </FONT></FONT></DIV>

mmolnar

I agree with Two guns. If people are using the machine infrequently enough so as not to get used to it, it's the way to go. I was completely comfortable with it the first day, but I knew what to expect and I am very conscientious about the operating characteristics of any vehicle I drive. Not everyone is.

Too bad we couldn't have it both ways. A switch of the dash for ENGINE BRAKING/NO ENGINE BRAKING. Choose according to the conditions at hand.

Hey, that would sell. One of you engineers out there should cook something up.

Matt

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If/when I want a real smoothe stop, I drive with a foot on each pedal and apply a small amount of braking.

[quote user="mmolnar"]Too bad we couldn't have it both ways. A switch of the dash for ENGINE BRAKING/NO ENGINE BRAKING. Choose according to the conditions at hand.

Hey, that would sell. One of you engineers out there should cook something up.

Matt
[/quote]
That already exists. N = no engine braking. H, M, L = braking. [:p][:D]

For those of you that have the "Hydraulic Dump" option/knob, what happens if you pull that out when you're approaching a stop. Does it change the engine braking?

doggman

I ordered one and we'll put it to the test when we get it. The feedback comments about the device were goodon theeBay site. As far as I can tell it's just a replacement hydraulic valve spool that's been modified. Probably drilled out to change the circuit logic.

solitude

doggman
Let me know what you think how it works.
You need 10 mm hex wrench and a magnet
to install it.It's a new spool valve.Took about a
week to get mine.I think you will like it.
Pat</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.

[quote user="bczoom"]For those of you that have the "Hydraulic Dump" option/knob, what happens if you pull that out when you're approaching a stop. Does it change the engine braking?[/quote]

What does happen?

G

I'd like to see some pictures of this thing. Any idea exactly what its doing?

solitude

Hi there
Just go on E bay RTv section they have a picture of it. We used to call them spool valves like in a
bucket control on a tractor.It goes under the dump hyd tank,just take out a plug and insert the valve.
Look on feedback on the guys site that sells them
everybody seems to like the way they work.Some
clever guy makes them.Mine drives just like a car
now. Pat

solitude

Hi bczoom
On mine it just coasts when you pull hyd dump.
With thiscoast valve it still has some braking.
solitude

doggman

<P mce_keep="true">I installed the aftermarket "coast valve" today. It works great! There is still some compression braking when I let up on the fuel but it's completely predictable. No more abrupt stops. I'd let anybody drive the thing - nowitcoasts like any other UTV or ATV. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">It might be my imagination but the throttle/transmission response seems to be quicker and smoother. That little acceleration lag seems to be gone. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">I think, with some time and experimenting, you could modify the spring, spring tension,and ports on an existing relief valve to achieve the same result. Maybe Two Guns' dealer had a handle on how to do this mod on a stock valve. </P>

G

Its $140. I have one comming to try to see if we want to get setup as a dealer. </P>

doggman

<P mce_keep="true">I paid $149.24 for the valve including UPS shipping. eBay is the only place I could find that sells the valve. It's a "Buy It Now" item so you just order it - no bidding. It's tiny but there's a lot of intricate machine work on the piece. Kubota missed the boat not making this an option... It looks like Messicks is interested in selling the valve, too. </P>