50 hour filter change on X1100C

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I just performed the required 50 hour filter change on the hydraulic system and transmission of my new machine. As I experienced before with my X900 the hydraulic filter (suction) on my X1100C was incredibly tight. It took all my strength and patience to get it loose! It was very tight until at least after one full turn. Anyway, I was curious to see how much metal can be seen in filter so I removed the canister and examined the paper pleating. Nothing is visible and a magnet turned up nothing. Good news all around. It is interesting that the HST filter I removed has an entirely different part number than what I put on. I had a bit of a panic attack, but a quick search on Messick's site assured me that the one I took off is obsolete and the new one I put on is the replacement. The entire part number is different - not just the last one or two digits. I took delivery on my new machine in December so I guess Kubota is using up the obsolete filters on new machines! The pictures below show the paper elements of both filters.

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The difference in PNs is due to a change in the subcontractor/mfr’r who makes the filter to Kubotas order/specs. (notice the difference in pleats-per-inch in the pics?)

Reactions: Doc

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
The difference in PNs is due to a change in the subcontractor/mfr’r who makes the filter to Kubotas order/specs. (notice the difference in pleats-per-inch in the pics?)
I am sure it is a manufacturing difference - just seems odd that they would use the outdated part on a new machine. Regarding the difference in the pleats per inch in the photos - They are the two filters I removed after 50 hours. One is the suction filter the other the HST filter. I took them apart to see how much metal, etc would be collected while breaking in a new machine.

Reactions: Doc

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I am sure it is a manufacturing difference - just seems odd that they would use the outdated part on a new machine. Regarding the difference in the pleats per inch in the photos - They are the two filters I removed after 50 hours. One is the suction filter the other the HST filter. I took them apart to see how much metal, etc would be collected while breaking in a new machine.
It makes sense they’d use up “old stock” before installing new PN stock. Both PNs meet the need for a filter.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I've got this service coming up soon on my X1140. Any good tips or tricks for getting these filters removed?
The HST filter came off OK - just what one would expect, but the larger, black suction filter was the tough one. I almost resorted to driving a screwdriver through it and using it as a lever, but I was eventually able to get it with filter wrench pliers. The area is tight I a could not get a good purchase with metal band wrenches and nylon straps. My metal cap sockets wouldn't fit well and I could not get socket wrench on it anyway. Not enough room for the socket and wrench. The metal filter pliers finally did it with lots of effort and only able to get 1/16 of a turn with every "hitch". My pliers are similar to these: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Milwauk...iaHyJQg-LLRIr0qfvN8o-meUfMlZxOagaAkyfEALw_wcB
Good luck!

pioneer

Thanks for this
The HST filter came off OK - just what one would expect, but the larger, black suction filter was the tough one. I almost resorted to driving a screwdriver through it and using it as a lever, but I was eventually able to get it with filter wrench pliers. The area is tight I a could not get a good purchase with metal band wrenches and nylon straps. My metal cap sockets wouldn't fit well and I could not get socket wrench on it anyway. Not enough room for the socket and wrench. The metal filter pliers finally did it with lots of effort and only able to get 1/16 of a turn with every "hitch". My pliers are similar to these: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Milwauk...iaHyJQg-LLRIr0qfvN8o-meUfMlZxOagaAkyfEALw_wcB
Good luck!
Thanks for this info. I have a selection of band wrenches and cap sockets but it seems filter pliers are called for. I love any excuse to buy a new toy... er, um, tool.

ETF

After the experience of removing filters on my old Gator, I now own every filter removal tool known to man. :)

My 50-hour service is just coming up on my RTV x1120 so we'll see.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
It’s ridiculous to read the efforts required to get factory-installed filters removed. There’s simply no reason for them to be so tight unless the factory is worried about pilferage during shipment.
Some reports are that the filters are tight because the machines were given final-paint with them installed and they are bottomed-out before being painted to stick them to the machine.
In any case, some instructions are to wipe oil or grease on the gaskets during installation and some folks think this is to make it easier to remove. Not so.
The reason to lubricate the gasket is to prevent it from becoming twisted or dislodged during installation.
The bad part of that procedure is that ordinary oil will “coke” and harden and contribute to difficult removal later.
The best method I believe is to use “silicone grease” on the gasket during installation.…which not only lubricates it for installation…but makes it easier to remove later. There simply is no reason to install spin on filters more than hand-tight. There is no force during ordinary operations to cause them to loosen. Spin them ON until the gasket contacts the mounting surface and then ONE turn more only.
Be CERTAIN when removing a filter to see that the gasket is removed from the machine also. A common problem is when the gasket stays on the engine/transmission. (This is …again…. due ot the use of ordinary oil on the gasket which “sticks” it.) If that gasket remains on the machine…there will be a failure of the new filter to seal properly.
We use spin on filters on many airplanes and it is part of the instructions to use silicone grease on the gasket and use only 16-18 ft-pounds to install. (This is equivalent to 3/4-turn after gasket contact with the mount-base.)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, when I changed the hyd filter on my Kioti tractor many years ago ( first time change as it was new back then) the factory had it on there so tight (I thought) that the filter wrenches just slipped. I finally drove a screwdriver in and tried to turn but it just cut the filter so I stopped. Then used a bolted chain and a screwdriver.. still wouldn't move just started twisting the filter . I stopped . Finally I used a utility knife and cut around the filter and rubber seal area. the factory paint was what was holding it in my case. After doing this deep cut thru the paint I was able to get it off with the chain and screwdriver.