2019 Mehindra 2638 starter just clicks when trying to start

duanee30

One of my friends owns a 2019 Mehindra 2638 and when he tries start it, the starter just clicks. Not just one click, but it keeps clicking like what happens when the battery is dead. He's put a new battery in it and he also pulled the starter out and took it to a shop where they bench tested it and confirmed that the starter is good.

But still, it just clicks when trying to start it. Has anyone had this issue and found out the cause or does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I would start by checking where the ground cable connects to the frame and make sure that it's clean , not corroded and tight. Also check the battery clamps and terminals- give 'em a bright brushing and retighten.

Fedup

If you feel sure the battery, cables, and connections are good, I would suggest jumping the starter. Locate the start signal wire from the harness, remove it, and jump battery positive straight to the spade on the starter. If it still "just clicks' you have a bad starter, regardless of what you've been told. On the other hand, if the starter works first time every time, start looking at the voltage at that start signal wire. You could very well have a low voltage situation there.

duanee30

Make sure the engine has a solid ground strap connection from the engine to the frame.
I did that. I looked for every ground I could find and cleaned everything single one that I could find all over the tractor even though they were all already clean with no corrosion at all. The battery terminals and posts are clean with no corrosion.

I found the starter relay and when I applied voltage to it, it clicked rapidly just like the starter is doing. I checked the other relays and when I applied voltage to them they only clicked once like they should. Even though the resistance through the starter relay was a little over 90ohms I thought the rapid clicking must be the problem so we went and got a new relay thinking that would solve it. It still did the exact same thing. I tested the new relay to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it was good.

My friend had a very basic OBDII scanner and it came up with the code P1611. I don't know if the codes for tractors are different than cars but the only thing I can find about that code on Google is for cars and it says that the communication link between the transmission computer and ECU is missing. I don't know if this tractor even has a transmission computer.

duanee30

I did that. I looked for every ground I could find and cleaned everything single one that I could find all over the tractor even though they were all already clean with no corrosion at all. The battery terminals and posts are clean with no corrosion.

I found the starter relay and when I applied voltage to it, it clicked rapidly just like the starter is doing. I checked the other relays and when I applied voltage to them they only clicked once like they should. Even though the resistance through the starter relay was a little over 90ohms I thought the rapid clicking must be the problem so we went and got a new relay thinking that would solve it. It still did the exact same thing. I tested the new relay to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it was good.

My friend had a very basic OBDII scanner and it came up with the code P1611. I don't know if the codes for tractors are different than cars but the only thing I can find about that code on Google is for cars and it says that the communication link between the transmission computer and ECU is missing. I don't know if this tractor even has a transmission computer.
Also, I checked the voltage going to the starter while he was trying to crank it. When the starter was clicking it showed a little over 3 volts at the starter. Shouldn't the starter be receiving roughly the same amount as the battery when trying to start it?

duanee30

If you feel sure the battery, cables, and connections are good, I would suggest jumping the starter. Locate the start signal wire from the harness, remove it, and jump battery positive straight to the spade on the starter. If it still "just clicks' you have a bad starter, regardless of what you've been told. On the other hand, if the starter works first time every time, start looking at the voltage at that start signal wire. You could very well have a low voltage situation there.
When tou say the start signal wire from the harness, are you talking about the main positive wire going to the starter solenoid or the smaller wire?

Smilingreen

3 volts? When you say you checked the voltage at the starter, was that the large gauge wire coming directly from the battery to the starter solenoid, or is that the short connection from the solenoid to the starter itself? That is a 75% voltage drop. Something should be screaming hot with that much voltage loss, not to mention your amperage draw jumped up 300% just with the voltage drop. You have 1 of 3 things: A bad ground wire, a bad hot wire or a bad starter solenoid. If you keep trying to start it with 3 volts, you are going to burn up the starter motor winding insulation, if you haven't done it already. Ask me how I know. Same thing happened on my Deere about 12 years ago. Starter solenoid was deeply pitted. Replaced the solenoid and it cranked over, but I had severely damaged the starter motor windings by the voltage drop and current pull. Had to replace the starter motor, too.

Fedup

When tou say the start signal wire from the harness, are you talking about the main positive wire going to the starter solenoid or the smaller wire?
The smaller wire, not the battery cable. It should be a simple spade terminal, and the wire just pulls off exposing the spade. Touch the spade with 12 volts and see what the starter does.

Smilingreen

If you have a infrared thermal thermometer, take a reading of the wires, the starter, and the solenoid as you are trying to start it. With that much of a voltage drop, the infrared should pinpoint the bad connection pretty quick.