2008 RTV. 500 Starter spins but does not engage motor

Stanner1969

So I backed over a brush pile , the motor died when I shifted forward. I placed it in neutral to start , the starter just spins, but it does not engage the motor to start.
Is there another safety switch or something in the safety circuit that would keep the starter from turning the motor? Or is there some other part that ( starter clutch, timing chain,..) could be the culprit here?
There was no noise in the motor before it turned off, it did not shut down abruptly or seize it just idles down like it was switched off.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ,
scott

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
If your stsrter spins but the engine doesn't it is because the bendix isn't engaging the flywheel. If your starter is like an automotive then your solenoid isn't working as it should or the starter is loose or broken free from the engine. If your starter is of the kholer type the helix needs lube.

Stanner1969

I haven't had to work on anything with a normal run of the mill problem in so long , I couldn't even remember the bendix.
Something of that nature is what instantly comes to mind, I have delved very deep into it , I gave the starter a couple taps with a hammer to see if that would get anything sticking to pop loose..
Didn't help , so I guess I'll get into things deeper.
I was thinking it was a connection of some kind as I haven't had any start issues with the unit ever , always starts right up , never drags , grinds , or slow starts, never misses. Quite frankly the machine has been an anomaly at my place had the same battery for 10 years, been through a half dozen below zero freezes sitting outside uncovered, I've used it to jump start every vehicle and piece of equipment we own , the unit and the battery have outlasted and out performed everything else I own., especially that damn battery.
Thanks for your input

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I gave the starter a couple taps with a hammer to see if that would get anything sticking to pop loose..
If your starter is still solidly attached as mentioned, in my experience, hit it harder with a hammer.
If you have another person available, have them hold the ignition key in the START position when you hit it with the hammer.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
On my Roxor, the starter is sorta hard to reach with a hammer so I used a fiberglass round fence post (1/2" dia) to extend the hammer's reach. Also have used a wooden dowel rod. A few wacks and I was back going. Replacement starter is still on the shelf waiting.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Not sure what engine that model has. Is it air cooled? If the starter is an automotive type then it will have a solenoid. Since the starter spins and if it is an automotive type then the solenoid is at full travel. If it is an air cooled engine then the starter probably has a helix that throws the bendix into the flywheel using centrifugal force. If this is the case it could be a stick or something holding the bendix down. Could be your starter isn't spinning as fast as it should or could be sticky grease on the helix. Post some pics