2040 hydraulic issues

Dave2040

I recently inherited the 2040 I grew up on. I’ve restored most of it. Rebuilt the engine as it had 7000 hours on it. New injectors all the goods. I replaced the whole steering column from db electrical as it only steered one direction. 11 hours of use and it blew the top oring. I put the new guts in the old column after ordering new orings and seals. The tractors steers fine stops runs great 3 point works great. My question is the steering column will fry your hand after 30 minutes of run time and occasionally you can hear either the relief valve or pump whine for a second then go away. I’ve changed fluid and filters twice in the last 20 hours. I’m stumped.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can't give you specific help but it sounds like you have a definite hydraulic problem.
Try yesterdaystractors.com and search for something like "2040 steering hydraulics" or similar.
Here's the first thread I found that sounds similar to your issue.

Dave2040

Can't give you specific help but it sounds like you have a definite hydraulic problem.
Try yesterdaystractors.com and search for something like "2040 steering hydraulics" or similar.
Here's the first thread I found that sounds similar to your issue.
Thank you! I have thought to tear the steering column back apart and see if the valves are any different. I just hate to replace those o rings again as it took 5 hours to rebuild the column first time haha. It’s an open center tractor 1976. It quit steering to the left 20 years ago. So I knew a valve was bad. I thought buying a new column online would be the fix but definitely a waste of money doing so!

Fedup

Buying a new column was the first mistake. Putting the new valve into the old column was (probably) the next mistake. Go back to the valve assembly you started with and let's revisit that. These days "new" isn't necessarily better.

Dave2040

Buying a new column was the first mistake. Putting the new valve into the old column was (probably) the next mistake. Go back to the valve assembly you started with and let's revisit that. These days "new" isn't necessarily better.
I know these days new parts aren’t very good. The o rings in the new column were terrible quality! I will tear it back apart as soon as possible! Thanks!

Fedup

What exactly did you buy? A complete unit, valve, casting, piston and all that? Or just a replacement valve assembly?

Just a side note. I fought the six O rings in the column for about 4 or 5 hours one day and finally decided I wasn't going to get them into place. The local Deere dealer shop put them in for $80. That meant it took less than an hour for someone to put them in. I have since devised a method for doing it myself, provided the column is off the tractor and open on the bottom. I can now put them all into place in about ten minutes.

Dave2040

What exactly did you buy? A complete unit, valve, casting, piston and all that? Or just a replacement valve assembly?

Just a side note. I fought the six O rings in the column for about 4 or 5 hours one day and finally decided I wasn't going to get them into place. The local Deere dealer shop put them in for $80. That meant it took less than an hour for someone to put them in. I have since devised a method for doing it myself, provided the column is off the tractor and open on the bottom. I can now put them all into place in about ten minutes.
I bought an entire complete column from db electrical online. Yes I fought those 6 orings myself! I put some Vaseline on them and used two extra long picks to push them down the tube. Everything works great I can just hear a noise sometimes sounds like a pump or valve whine for a few seconds. And the column gets very hot to the touch.

Fedup

Hot to touch says you have a leak in there. Possibly one of those O rings, possibly in one of the valves. No way to know from the outside.

jdgreen

The six orings in housing can be installed in the incorrect grooves and cause overheating. Also there are shims in the valve bodies that can cause problems if the correct amount of shims aren't installed. Too many shims will make free travel in steering wheel movement and too few will cause overheating of oil.

Dave2040

The six orings in housing can be installed in the incorrect grooves and cause overheating. Also there are shims in the valve bodies that can cause problems if the correct amount of shims aren't installed. Too many shims will make free travel in steering wheel movement and too few will cause overheating of oil.
How do you know how many shims to use? I haven’t been able to find that info anywhere? I know there was definitely more slop in the old set than the new one

Fedup

John Deere manual (even the often mistrusted I&T version) gives pretty detailed instruction on the valve stack assembly, including the shims. If you own the tractor, why not own the manual? I'm not sure what your interpretation of "more slop" amounts to. A certain amount of movement is necessary to open and close the valves during steering operation, but with the steering wheel stationary and no steering occurring all valves need to be closed.

Dave2040

John Deere manual (even the often mistrusted I&T version) gives pretty detailed instruction on the valve stack assembly, including the shims. If you own the tractor, why not own the manual? I'm not sure what your interpretation of "more slop" amounts to. A certain amount of movement is necessary to open and close the valves during steering operation, but with the steering wheel stationary and no steering occurring all valves need to be closed.
I’ll try to get another manual for it. Old one has stuff missing out of it and just needs replaced. Yes the tractor stopped steering to the left many years ago ( only manual steering ) but you could spin it one finger to the right. So when i tore the old assembly apart it all looked pretty worn. That was the reason i bought a new one. Like I said old girl has 7k hours on it so im sure it has some wear here and there. I appreciate the help!

Dave2040

I found the problem with the old column. Has a broken spring on the top valve pack. Does anyone know if I can order a valve kit and springs? If so do you have a part number? Thanks for all the help!