Kubota RTV 900 - Gear Change

Farmer Marc

I have a Kubota RTV900 and i have a problem with the gear selector, i loaned the buggy to a mate and while he had it, it jammed in gear in reverse and could not disengage it, i managed to disconnect the cable on the transmission and get it home and found that the control cable was jammed, i purchased the new cable from kubota and set it up as per the old cable, i now have an issue where medium speed is now reverse and can get only low speed as a forward gear, its really a strange situation as all i did was change a cable, not sure what damage was done prior to getting it home as i could not drive it, any advice on where to start would be appreciated i am not sure what year it is so here is the ID no on the buggy A5KB1FDACC0D6765 if that helps

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Cable.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 9

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think BC Zoom/Doc have several posts about the date of RTVs on here also.
Did you get any paperwork with the RTV (such as a title showing ownership)? The year should be on there.
Details below but I can't decode yours. It "might" be a 2012. A Kubota dealer in AU should be able to help.

I was looking at the VIN provided and am scratching my head.
In North America, the first character is a K (for Kubota)
I see you're in Australia so the VIN sequence isn't the same.
Your VIN is 16 characters.
For North American RTV's:
- The early RTV's had the 16 character. I "think" it was 2004-2008 then they switched to the standard 17 character format.
- When the VIN is 16, the 9th character (in your case, the letter C) denotes the year. That means is 2012. That's confusing me as I thought they had 17 character VIN in 2012

I went to this site to try and get info.
infrastructure.gov.au/infrastructure-transport-vehicles/vehicles/importing-vehicle/vin
Did they give you a new 17 character VIN?
"When the department generates a VIN, it now uses the 4th character of the VIN to identify the vehicle's original year of manufacture. For example, 6ZZK for a 2019 model vehicle."

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
You have a kubota rtv 900 model that is made before the X 900. Your mate probably has the shift forks out of alignment. Remove the bolts from around the shift assembly in your pictures and remove straight up. With a long screw driver slide the gears into neutral and then match the shift forks to easily drop into the sliding gears. Put bolts back in and adjust cables to neutral and carry on.

Farmer Marc

Thank you for all the feedback, it has been really helpful, I removed the top cover and realigned the shift forks, however my cables must still be out of adjustment as i can only get low gear and reverse, but on the wrong side of the selector, if anyone has any tricks on the cable adjustment setup that would be appreciated.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Look at the shifter assembly on the trans. One lever moves the shifter left and right the other forward or backwards. Notice when you use the shift lever on the dash that the lever will move the cables differently. Put the transmission and confirm neutral then confirm the shift lever is in a center neutral position and adjust the cables to fit the levers. Then confirm that the cab lever has full range of motion to select all gears.