fwd troubleshooting?

Gaby

Hey all! I've really been enjoying the JD 1070 I bought a couple months ago. It has been very useful this winter clearing snow. Having my first problem...front wheel drive stopped working last night. Did not notice anything significant, just that I was getting stuck! I have no ideal where to start troubleshooting. I'm not afraid to tear into it if need be, but I also know that sometimes it's best to take it to a dealer. Any wisdom from the forum?????

howierd3866

good evening..not a green man so dont know anything about the jd 1070..but if its new with computer shuff check to see if 4x4 has an elect selnold if so maybe a burnt fess...if 4x4 is manuel check and make sure level is ingaging...sorry about spelling not using spell check tonight..lol

irwin

Hey all! I've really been enjoying the JD 1070 I bought a couple months ago. It has been very useful this winter clearing snow. Having my first problem...front wheel drive stopped working last night. Did not notice anything significant, just that I was getting stuck! I have no ideal where to start troubleshooting. I'm not afraid to tear into it if need be, but I also know that sometimes it's best to take it to a dealer. Any wisdom from the forum?????

Gaby,
Don't know your mechanical abilities.... but here's the deere site parts look up for the 1070 http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Start with the beginning..ie:does the 4x4 lever engage? (or has something come loose?) jack up the front.. engine off.. and spin front wheel..any noises? what happens? Hopefully you'll be able to tell if it's an engagement issue or a front differential issue.

good luck..

kennyd

Gaby,
Don't know your mechanical abilities.... but here's the deere site parts look up for the 1070 http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Start with the beginning..ie:does the 4x4 lever engage? (or has something come loose?) jack up the front.. engine off.. and spin front wheel..any noises? what happens? Hopefully you'll be able to tell if it's an engagement issue or a front differential issue.

good luck..

Irwin has good advice. Start with the simple stuff like linkages from the lever to the tranny.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How cold was it when it stopped working? Cold weather can have some strange effects on our equipment.

jd110

If the engagement lever seems to operate normally, you might want to check the front driveshaft. It is inside a shield and can be broken without any visible sign from the outside. Disconnect the shield from on end and slide it back. You should be able to grab the shaft and when you attempt to turn it, the front wheels should try to turn.