Fuel Price Fallout continues

Car hauler: Strike may sink company

Bankrupt PTS cuts pay 15%; Teamsters walk out

Louis Aguilar and David Shepardson / The Detroit News

A strike against the nation's No. 2 car hauler could force the company quickly out of business, the company's chief executive said Monday, a sentiment some striking Teamsters members said they were prepared to accept rather than take a temporary pay cut.
Some 1,250 car haulers represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters walked off their jobs at Performance Transportation Services, a move that many think will have little impact on automakers and car dealers. Both sides concede there is little time to settle before the Allen Park company, which has been in bankruptcy twice since 2006, may go out of business.
The two sides are in a stalemate over court-approved pay cuts and other contract issues. As of Monday evening the two sides were not talking.

The union is upset that PTS, which delivers 2.7 million vehicles a year including 10,400 vehicles a day for General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp., won federal bankruptcy court approval to immediately impose a 15 percent pay cut on the drivers through July 31. The company wants the temporary cut while it continues to negotiate a new contract. The Teamsters refused and walked off their jobs Monday, including seven locations in Michigan.
PTS filed a new court request Monday, seeking to hold the Teamsters and their chief negotiator, Fred Zuckerman, in civil contempt. The company asked for an expedited hearing on its request, but none was made as of late Monday. PTS wants the judge to assess civil penalties to prod the car haulers back to work. The company hopes to get a response possibly as soon as today, said PTS Chief Executive Jeff Cornish.Even a one-day strike could force the company to liquidate, Cornish said. "The longer this goes on, the more chance the Teamsters are going to extinguish their own jobs and all the other jobs at PTS," Cornish said.
The Teamsters were resolute.
"We are on strike to enforce our bargaining table demands," Zuckerman said. "There is no proposal on the table. There is no date set for us to go back to the table, and that's completely unacceptable."
Many striking members said they know walking out could cost them their jobs.
"We just have to do it on principle," said one, who requested anonymity because of union instructions not to talk to reporters. "Most of us don't expect to go back."
The impact on the automakers has so far been minimal. Cornish said that union and non-union haulers were picking up PTS' work.
Toyota spokesman Xavier Dominicis said the company hadn't seen any delivery disruption, but has put contingency plans in place.
Ford also was putting alternative shipping plans in place, though the company wouldn't discuss the details, said company spokesman Todd Nissen.
GM spokesman Chris Lee said the Detroit automaker also "hadn't seen any disruption."
"We're continuing to make sure that we can keep moving our new cars and trucks to the dealers," Lee said.
Some auto dealers said the strike would have to last several weeks to have any impact.
"Their timing is lousy," said Martin "Hoot" McInerny, whose holdings include Toyota and Ford dealerships. "Most of us probably won't know for at least a couple days, but the real impact would have been in the fall after new models are released."
Robert Farrell, executive director of the Automotive Carrier's Conference of the American Trucking Association, based in Arlington, Va., agreed.
"The disruption in the distribution channel is not an insurmountable challenge," he said. "We're already in June, when there usually is a slower month in sales. We go to summer shutdown of plants in July and market conditions are not great. And this against a backdrop of an industry that's reducing the number of vehicles that it will produce. Do the math."
The company says it needs wage concessions to deal with rising diesel fuel prices and declining sales. PTS is seeking similar cuts gained by Allied Holdings Inc., which filed for bankruptcy in 2007 and imposed a 17.5 percent pay cut.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I fear this is just the start of it getting ugly out there. :hide2:

N

Nicahawk

I fear this is just the start of it getting ugly out there. :hide2:

Your so right Doc. A whole lot worse. Actually a little scary. :hide:

Thanks for the post Paul. You always post some thought provoking information. :respect:

vansimplement

I'm firmly in the Gonna-Get-Worse-Before-It-Gets-Better camp. Certain farmers (not all, mind you - many are happy as pigs in mud) around here like to drive up here in their brand new pickups and yet complain about the price of fuel, "things have gotta change!". That is probably true, but not necessarily the way they would like.

brazospete

Ever wonder why the Teamsters go on strike every time it benefits the car manufacturers? Me too! Take a look at it. Car sales are in the crapper,the big 3 er 2 are closing plants and laying off workers. So what does the teamsters international do? They go on strike! Good thinking.....right? I got laid off from a job moving drilling rigs here in texas back in the early 80's ( first time I ever got laid off in my life). It became hard times in texas right at that time! I wore out a good pair of cowboy boots lookin for a job......no good. I finally got a job hauling cottonseed from Hutto tx to Wolf city..... lived in a cabover for 2 mos. While I was gone my little honey was on the phone. Well she found a car haulin job in california that was interested cause I hauled used cars for my cousin for years off and on. Well to make a short story I took the job and moved out to ca. I got a lot of kids ,had 4 at that time so you know I would have moved to russia for 40 grand a year. Well it was a fantastic job for texas, no oil changeing, no tire work,brand new trucks....big money for texas....not california. First off 4 kids was 2 too many nobody would rent to somebody with 4 kids and they wouldn't send me to Dallas. I never understood californians! They hire an otr driver from texas then keep him drivin local in L.A. for 2 months then they make him drive up and down the west coast (Runs the local drivers wanted bad) well I was ready to quit.....jerks! Finally I got a load to okie city well I accidently made a few wrong turns and wound up at momma's house in exactly 21 hrs! I told her they were jerks and I'd prolly wind up slapping somebody and gettin fired but them checks I'd been sendin home had her convinced and nuthin I said about L.A. made any difference. Well back to that short story! I'd been hauling camaros out of Van Nuys for 8 mos or so and was just about ready to pull out the gate goin to dallas (yeah soon as they found out I had my family out there I couldn't buy a local load) well this union stewart guy tells me I cant go because we're going on strike! Well I parked my truck on the line and by the time I got to the front gate the news van was settin up the cameras and that steward guy was passin out picket signs. 15 minutes later the news people were gone so was that steward guy. the drivers were told to stay there night and day to make sure the company didnt try to sneak scabs in to take our jobs....yeah right! Well that lasted an hour after the local trucks finished coming back I noticed me and 1 other new guy were all alone,the security guard locked the gate and I hung my sign on the fence and headed for home. I got home just in time to eat and get settled down in my recliner for the 6 oclock news. The announcer came on and said "Head line the teamsters are on strike!! More after this message" well the Chevy commercial mentioning the strike was followed by the new pontiac,buick, and olds commercials mentioning the strike and showing hundreds of cars at dealerships. The Ford lincoln mercury ads were next,then dodge chrysler plymouth! Finally the news guy came back on talking about the "TOP STORY" teamsters in Van Nuys are out on strike!They showed a really excited young female reporter and the drivers yelling and waving their signs. The last thing they showed was that steward guy saying that he couldn't rule out the possibility of violence if the company tried to use scabs to break the strike!!!!!Next after 45 seconds of vw datsun toyota ads all mentioning the strike they showed multiple GM FOrd And chrysler ads all referring to the strike. It was then I got that sinking feeling you know the one that comes when you realise you been HAD! Next thetalkin head reported that car haulers all over the country were going on strike to show their SOLIDARITY with their ca. brother teamsters with footage from detroit and other cities across the nation. Well it was the gift that keeps on giving..... that sinking feeling turned to an upset stomach. I definately had a sour taste in my mouth by the time the news was finally over! I was wondering how they had all those commercials ready so FAST!! Well back to that Short story! We were out on strike so unemployment was a non starter but the teamsters were going to pay us $149.00 strike pay if we stayed out longer than 2 weeks!!!! Well 6 weeks later after enduring a media blitz vilainising "GREEDY TEAMSTERS" paralizing the poor downtrodden car manufacturers that steward guy called me crowing about how we had won a tremendous victory and we only had to meet at the union hall and vote to accept the new contract !!! Well I went cause he said it would really be bad if the other drivers got the idea I wasn't commited to the union. Well that feeling of being had was becoming familiar but was joined by a distinct felling of p!ssedoffedness after I endured an hour of that steward guy in dockers and a sport shirt introducing the 6 or 7 representatives from the AFLCIO and the INTERNATIOAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS in shiny silk suits who spoke interminately on how difficult it had been for them to wring the wonderful consessions they had fought so HARD for from the stingy management of the car manufacturers. They were Proud of their victory because we would be reaping the benefits from now on forever. They were a little vague about what those benefits were but we were getting a raise and thats what mattered!!yeah I never did find out what the raise was gonna be that night but like every body else I voted to end the strike. The next day that steward guy was at the yard and I asked him how much the raise was gonna be well he puffed out his chest and said "Well we got 25cents an hour but the important thing was we showed them they cant mess with TEAMSTERS" The good part of this story is we were getting $13.32an hr but that was only paid for loadingand breakdown time the 32 cents a mile we got for driving(90% of our pay) was unchanged. There was some grumbling when the drivers found out the medical and dental insurance had been changed to include copays. Yeah I figured we should break even on that strike in about 75 yrs. Too bad I couldn't stick it out with PMT that long.

brazospete

You know I used to think I was average intelligence and America did have a few MORONS! But I gotta confess I must be a GENIUS. That's the only way I can excuse the people of America for swallowing the immense amount of bullshit Washington feeds us. Do you really believe they will be satisfied with all the money they can imagine out of air! NOT SO tomorrow they will be able to imagine more. I think we should bury the billionaires in piles of Federal reserve notes until theyre crushed in their own money!I read somewhere they transported a lot of tons of hundred dollar bills to Iraq a couple years ago it was something like 24billion dollars so I figure a billion in 1s would crush just about anyone. Instead of a guillotine I think we should use palletized money to squash em!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good short story Pete. I just caught up with it.
This wallstreet mess is crazy. 700 billion dollars and no oversight. What a deal. And we'll still hear that social security and medicare are going bankrupt. :confused:
Wall street and the politicians are so dirty it stinks. Arrrrrgggggg!!!!!!!

quincy

Have you heard about the new dollar bill?

newdollarbill.jpg

brazospete

Yeah I bet they forget to put in an expiration date on their Bailout of the Treasury ACT. 700 billion is just the first installment they'll "have" to add a few zeros to that in the months to come! The foxes (polititians) announce today they will empanel a commission (more foxes) to investigate the alarming decline in egg production from the national chicken house. Experts (fat foxes) warn more unproductive chickens may have to be culled from the flock for the good of the country!

brazospete

78 billions lost!

YUP cnn reported yesterday that 78 billion dollars is gone from the 350 billion dollar first installment of the BUSH bailout bill! BIG SHOCK! Apparently the CRISIS was so unsettling for PAULSON that while buying troubled assets for 3 times their face value and bailing out banks that were TOO BIG to fail (so they could gobble up other big banks) (CITIGROUP), Paulson forgot to get reciepts for 78 billion dollars! Well I'm sure the new GURU will be more careful......right?
You know I used to think I was average intelligence and America did have a few MORONS! But I gotta confess I must be a GENIUS. That's the only way I can excuse the people of America for swallowing the immense amount of bullshit Washington feeds us. Do you really believe they will be satisfied with all the money they can imagine out of air! NOT SO tomorrow they will be able to imagine more. I think we should bury the billionaires in piles of Federal reserve notes until theyre crushed in their own money!I read somewhere they transported a lot of tons of hundred dollar bills to Iraq a couple years ago it was something like 24billion dollars so I figure a billion in 1s would crush just about anyone. Instead of a guillotine I think we should use palletized money to squash em!

brazospete

OK maybe i'm not being fair to the vast majority of Americans who are not MORONS! Answer me this . How many of you would pick a bunch of lawyers to operate the financial mechanics of YOUR business?

irwin

YUP cnn reported yesterday that 78 billion dollars is gone from the 350 billion dollar first installment of the BUSH bailout bill! BIG SHOCK! Apparently the CRISIS was so unsettling for PAULSON that while buying troubled assets for 3 times their face value and bailing out banks that were TOO BIG to fail (so they could gobble up other big banks) (CITIGROUP), Paulson forgot to get reciepts for 78 billion dollars! Well I'm sure the new GURU will be more careful......right?

!!! Do you have a link I can follow brazospete? This is an incredible statement. Not that I doubt it... but yaargh's, this is treason.

brazospete

Its worse than treason! It's a mortal sin (swearing before GOD to uphold the Constitution),but SHHHHHHH! Dont tell em, let GOD remind em at the appropriate time.

brazospete

Dont worry the LIARS (Spin Doctors) will come up with an excuse that will satisfy morons and 3 year olds! I love Americans! Theyre so EASY!