2005 RTV 900 Radiator Drain and Fill - More Out Then Went in ?

Ronniebisme

So I Don't think the radiator had been drained in many years , followed WSM - fluid out without issue, ( just use the drain at the bottom of the radiator) and pumped out reserve canister ( pretty dirty) , but when I went to refill just the radiator filled , I ran it cap on and off , let it sit awhile and was only able to add a few more ounces

Should I run it up to operating temp? Let it sit a few days , any tricks , just want to make sure I dont overheat, seems like it should have taken more fluid

On my old Mercedes rebuilds I had to get the nose in the air to get the air out.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
You are air locked. Dont run it that way. The new models have several air bleeds because of this. Probably should drain and add back very slowly until you get the same amount back in.

Ronniebisme

So burped it. Ran it around for 1/2 hour. Temp staying mid range. See photo. Is this normal. New to me so never had it to operating temp. The electric fan goes on when it gets a tad over half way and then shuts off. I suspect IMG_7464.jpeg that is normal too but would like your all real life opinions. Thanks for all the help

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If I'm just puttering around, I get no reading on the temp gauge. If I give it some hard work, be it climbing a steep hill or going down the road at full speed for a mile or so, my gauge climbs to 1/2 like yours does. I can't even remember the last time my fan came on.

sdzubay

You might want to consider pulling the radiator and having it boiled. My Kubota L2800 tractor was regularly overheating recently. Cleaned the radiator and I my temp now rarely rises above "C" even under heavy load in summer heat. I should have done it three years ago.

Ronniebisme

so I am or am not overheating ? Not anywhere near the red . Should I just continue to watch it or be more aggressive. I did look in the manual and from what I see there this in normal temp.. No info on fan being on or off that I can find

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
You’ve likely just mis-judged how much you drained vs installed….if you’ve driven it around a day or so and it’s still full at the cap when cold and it doesn’t overheat.

What about your reservoir..? Have you put coolant in it…then seen it drop slightly after operating and then after it cools down?

(The cool-down period…such as overnight…. will suck coolant from the reservoir back into the radiator/system….which will then be “topped off”. Re-top the reservoir…and you’ll be good to go.

Modern water pumps haven’t any service requirements (other than using the correct coolant-mixtures)… When they fail… and leak…replace them. (not like the early autos that req’d greasing)