RTV900 Middle Propeller Shaft/Driveshaft

TexasRTV900

Hello, I recently purchased a 2008 RTV900 and looks like someone upgraded the middle driveshaft (P/N K7711-16806) to the newer one piece design. One of the joints at the front differential is loose and knocking around. Short of purchasing an entire new assembly from Kubota ($$$), is there a way to refurbish these units? Any aftermarket place to procure the CV joint parts?

IMG-5738.jpg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

TexasRTV900

I edited my comment to include a link that I found . Lots of sources out there but some are better quality than others :) there are several threads on here about these and you should find them with the search feature in the upper right corner. :) https://www.sidebysidestuff.com/searchresults.html?vwcatalog=yhst-136786855154677&query=kubota+RTV+front+drive+boots#/?keywords=kubota+RTV+front+drive+boots&search_return=all&Catalogcustomlabel3=Axles+&+axle+parts
Ah ok, thanks for the link. The one I am trying to repair is the one that goes down the middle of the RTV from the transmission in the rear to the front differential for the 4WD

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I reread your post, so you are trying to replace the long gray shaft ? I think that complete shaft is / was around $700 back when I was looking several years ago. That boot it has was why I was searching for information on the shaft. I was able to find a replacement boot but don't remember the source. By the way, it's easier to access the shaft by removing the floor panel under the mat. I discovered a lot of rust under that mat and it was just from dampness because in Mississippi we use no road salt. I cleaned it up and used bed liner under there.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Link for information on the long drive shaft from rear to front .https://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/threads/replacing-the-centre-drive-shaft-on-an-rtv-900.18652/#post-137097

TexasRTV900

I reread your post, so you are trying to replace the long gray shaft ? I think that complete shaft is / was around $700 back when I was looking several years ago. That boot it has was why I was searching for information on the shaft. I was able to find a replacement boot but don't remember the source. By the way, it's easier to access the shaft by removing the floor panel under the mat. I discovered a lot of rust under that mat and it was just from dampness because in Mississippi we use no road salt. I cleaned it up and used bed liner under there.
Yes, that is the one exactly that I am trying to fix. The front joint on the long propeller shaft is loose so I'm not sure if even a boot replacement will fix it as the CV joint seems to be worn out. I'm wondering if anyone has found a source for the CV parts? I may try and pull the shaft off and look for any stamping/marks.

I found a replacement boot from a newer model RTV here (https://www.messicks.com/ku/86233?sectionId=228381&diagramId=451210) under the parts diagram G12700 FRONT PROPELLER SHAFT. The diagram shows all of the individual parts, but you can't purchase them. The part number for the propeller shaft assembly is the same for an RTV900G6 as it is for the RTV900XTR.

Just trying to see if I can fix this up without spending $771+shipping :eek:

TexasRTV900

Link for information on the long drive shaft from rear to front .https://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/threads/replacing-the-centre-drive-shaft-on-an-rtv-900.18652/#post-137097
That is great info. Fabricating a new floor is on my list of things to do, mine is rusted out and repaired poorly. Seems as though this repair has stumped many in the past who are not yet willing to bite the $771 bullet.

I am quoting a reply I just made, but is waiting for moderator approval. I think the embedded link flags it for review.

Yes, that is the one exactly that I am trying to fix. The front joint on the long propeller shaft is loose so I'm not sure if even a boot replacement will fix it as the CV joint seems to be worn out. I'm wondering if anyone has found a source for the CV parts? I may try and pull the shaft off and look for any stamping/marks.

I found a replacement boot from a newer model RTV here (Messicks link) under the parts diagram G12700 FRONT PROPELLER SHAFT. The diagram shows all of the individual parts, but you can't purchase them. The part number for the propeller shaft assembly is the same for an RTV900G6 as it is for the RTV900XTR.

Just trying to see if I can fix this up without spending $771+shipping :eek:

TexasRTV900

Pondering here...wonder if the CV joints in the front axles are the same as were used on the propeller shaft? If so, maybe one of the aftermarket front CV axles could provide the parts to rebuild the propeller shaft :unsure:

TexasRTV900

By the way, I responded to your earlier comments bordercollie, but seems my new member status limits which posts are immediately visible without moderator approval.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We're rebuilding lots of fence so I'm slow getting on the forum sometimes. I don't remember what my joints looked like when I replaced the boot ( only because it was cracked /torn.) The folks at Messick's might be able to advise you on the fit. The model I had was a 900xtr which I bought new in 2012 and it had over 4200 hrs on it when I sold it. No play in the components even at those hours. I wish I could advise you on those joints matching but I don't know . I do remember the drive line (single) boot that I replaced being a lot bigger though. Get luck and keep us informed.

TexasRTV900

After further analyzing I realized the wiggling/rattling was coming from the male/female splined shaft being loose. Not sure if it is supposed to have that much play in it?

IMG_5760.jpeg
IMG_5776.jpeg

I replaced the oring, cleaned and greased the shaft and that did seem to improve things. Also replaced the oil seal while I was there.

I spoke with a gentleman who was very willing to assist with repairing the CV joints and who was the one that actually pointed out the play in the splined shaft. I have no affiliation with this shop but just had good communication with them. If anyone is looking for CV joint repair you may want to reach out: http://cvaxles.com/

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The play in the splines could have come from the looseness of the old 2 pc style style before it was replaced with the one piece by the previous owner. I remember it being a lot of play in my 05 model RTV after the hours added up I replaced it at least once but the wear on the shaft made it rattle. . If I remember right ? some members even added washers, rubber to hold some pressure on old style but without damaging the seal. etc. the yoke just fit so loosely that it would rattle on many owner's old style RTVs. It became known as the rattler in many folk's posts.
I'm glad that you are good to go now. and by the way, that's a good looking boot on there. Is is Kubota?

Last edited:

TexasRTV900

The play in the splines could have come from the looseness of the old 2 pc style style before it was replaced with the one piece by the previous owner. I remember it being a lot of play in my 05 model RTV after the hours added up I replaced it at least once but the wear on the shaft made it rattle. . If I remember right ? some members even added washers, rubber to hold some pressure on old style but without damaging the seal. etc. the yoke just fit so loosely that it would rattle on many owner's old style RTVs. It became known as the rattler in many folk's posts.
I'm glad that you are good to go now. and by the way, that's a good looking boot on there. Is is Kubota?
Yes, it is the kubota boot. I cleaned it and put some used oil on it