Thinking again of trading the rtv for a roxor

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Aurthuritis. I've been pretty happy with my 2018 Roxor. It has some quirts though and I would like it better if it were an automatic. The 2 wd mode in 1st gear is too fast for spraying fences and herding behind calves/cows in calm form. 4wd 1st gear is ok... sometimes it's hard to get into and out of 4wd though. I've said "thank You Jesus " many times when I was able to get into 4wd in order to get out of a tough spot. Its well off the ground so it's plenty of room to crawl around under there at needed times. I also like my 16" mud grips.
You may have read that my pup and faithful cow helper broke her front leg when it was caught in the side step bars as she hopped off to help me. Freak accident and very, very expensive. She is still leashed when we go outside but about well now after 12 weeks- still no stairs allowed ( This house is 4 ft off the ground) I have a ramp I made now though, so no more carrying a rather fat collie up and down 4x a day.
Not really much I don't like about the Roxor - would I buy another one ? - automatic- yes, I probably would . I like the grill on mine though- not so much on the new style. I just had to buy a new battery today so have not spent that much on it. All of the hydraulic stuff on the RTV got me less interested in them as I got older. You are a whiz at them though , so if I knew as much as you about that part of the RTVs out today, I would have a hard time choosing. Cabs look better every year I get older. I'll be making a Roxor half door to contain my puppy before she can ride again. One more x.ray ( I hope) next week.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks collie. Sorry for your pup and glad she is on the mend. I think the roxor now offers an automatic? Maybe?? A cab is a must for me but ac isn't as i rarely use it in anything now. I'll share with you a dream set up???? Remove the clutch on the roxor and replace with a torque converter or put a torque converter in the drive behind the transmission? Volkswagen had such a set up in the beetle and dodge had what they called fluid drive i think in the 50's. Those were great for farm.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I think the money is getting out of line for the rtv? I can buy a used car and just use it like the side by side for a fraction of the price?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you. That torque converter sounds interesting . :) I also might consider a used but not abused older 2 door Jeep Wrangler in my next adventure strictly for farm use though . Things are getting over priced everywhere. I ordered Mahindra filters for the Roxor a few days ago and saw crazy prices for components other than the filters which were still reasonable. ( example: oil filter just $9) . Thank you and God bless ya.

Smilingreen

The younger generations infatuation with side by sides, XUV's, blah blah, what ever the kids now days are calling them and the lost perception of the value of a dollar is what has caused these prices to skyrocket. I mean, lets face, the kids now days are paying over 4 times the amount of money, for a plastic XUV, that I bought my first house for. (and then they whine because they can't afford a house) So yeah, the parts prices are going to be just as stupid as the prices of vehicles are, because: Someone out there thinks thats ok and they want it. (yeah, I bought a new RTV last year, but I did protest the stupid price to my stealership sales guy. He just laughed at me 😒 and told me to sign my signature and initialize 9000 times on different pieces of paper)

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Thanks collie. Sorry for your pup and glad she is on the mend. I think the roxor now offers an automatic? Maybe?? A cab is a must for me but ac isn't as i rarely use it in anything now. I'll share with you a dream set up???? Remove the clutch on the roxor and replace with a torque converter or put a torque converter in the drive behind the transmission? Volkswagen had such a set up in the beetle and dodge had what they called fluid drive i think in the 50's. Those were great for farm.
I had a 69 VW with the "Shift-O-Matic" trans in it. We re-branded it as the "Dog-O-Matic". Don't bump your knee into the floor shifter while going down the road with the accelerator pedal floored. That will cause the vacuum solenoid to engage on the Dog-O-Matic trans and send to your engine RPM to the highest RPM setting on the non-existent rev limiter. 🤬

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I won't be buying a new anything I guess the way prices are going. Years ago, I always sold my RTVs when they got over 4,200 hours on them and 5 years or older, then buying a new one. Now a days though, I need to think about how I can afford to "not to work so hard". Getting older is ok I guess, but feeling older is worrisome. I hope my 5 year old Roxor hangs in there and keeps me in the green. I have almost 8,000 miles on it. ( digital odometer quit working last week) but that's what it displayed right before I jump started it with a jump starter. Now have a new battery( 34 series) but no millage indicator ( speedometer yes - just not the odometer) .

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with ya on not buying new. Especially with RTV's. I've never had a new one. As side by sides go thankfully the RTV is different. It's slow. It's a workhorse. The kids want a fast 1000cc one to run through creeks and big mud puddles. I would never buy a used side by side as who knows how rough it was treated. RTV's are generally owned by older mature folks who use them on their property for work and pleasure. I have had very good luck finding units with low hours in nearly new condition. And I've been able to buy them at less than half the price of a new one. Deals are out there. But you have to be willing to do a road trip to find the right one. When you are going to keep it and work it for years it's worth a day or two on the road to pick it up.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
The younger generations infatuation with side by sides, XUV's, blah blah, what ever the kids now days are calling them and the lost perception of the value of a dollar is what has caused these prices to skyrocket. I mean, lets face, the kids now days are paying over 4 times the amount of money, for a plastic XUV, that I bought my first house for. (and then they whine because they can't afford a house) So yeah, the parts prices are going to be just as stupid as the prices of vehicles are, because: Someone out there thinks thats ok and they want it. (yeah, I bought a new RTV last year, but I did protest the stupid price to my stealership sales guy. He just laughed at me 😒 and told me to sign my signature and initialize 9000 times on different pieces of paper)
I think the prices are because of the dollar devaluation.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I'll probably just keep the x1100c. It has been a good reliable machine so far. The ability to recover almost my purchase price is tempting though. I'm not to worried about break downs so much as i can still rebuild or just buy a new hst if i have to. At the current hours and miles and the probability that i can get another 2000 hours and beyond. I remember my first experience with the rtv. A seismic crew delivered probably three semi loads of old high hour 900's and for months i got to see them work. All of them had 10's of thousands of hours on them. And hadn't been touched except for maintenance and driveine etc.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
When the crew finished the job semi trucks delivered them to a port. They shipped them to greenland for another job. They came from south america before i saw them.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The MSRP on the little U35 excavator I have is now ridiculous at $66,000 new. 2 years ago they were almost 15,000 cheaper new . Everything has gotten out of hand. But I'm with you Aurthuritis. You are so gifted with repairing them that I think that is a smart move. Maybe you can stumble upon a cab model that needs a little fixing and come out "smelling like a rose" as they say.

ItBmine

Reading some posts here, I know exactly what you all mean. I used to enjoy buying new Kubota's but their price increases are out of hand. I got offered what I paid for my RTV new in 2020 to trade in, and while the sounds of the easier shifting transmission on the new one sounds great, I'm not paying several thousand dollars more to get one.

I was just at a Polaris dealer and saw this new Ranger North Star side by side. The one that is like an RTV with heat and air conditioning. The price here in Canada is $48,800!! For comparison I paid $39,000 for my F150 XLT supercab 4x4 5.0 V8 truck brand new with discounts in 2020, LOL

But look at the price tag and do the math. All these people that sign up for that payment plan just paid over $80,000 for a toy!!!
I think the whole world has gone insane!!!! And look at all the exposed air conditioning and oil lines in the front wheel well for that price. Junk.

Attachments

• 20240405_122600.jpg
    20240405_122600.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240405_122539.jpg
    20240405_122539.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240405_122646.jpg
    20240405_122646.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 3