New to Me 2005 RTV900 - Low Hours - Needing advice

Ronniebisme

First off, great forum! I have just aquired a RTV900. I decoded VIN and determined it is a 2005. It has 581 original hours
Im very handy with tools and would like to service this prior to further use ( it has been used sporadically)
What I would love to find is an operators manual and specifications for basic service and operations
Im thinking oil, air , perhaps tranny . It is 4 wheel drive with a hydraulic dump bed. Im sure there are things should do, and should know .
DO you all know where I could find specifics for this work, a manual ? I see many downloads for the newer models but not this year
Any insight or direction is appreciated and thanks in advance

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Check on Messick's Equipment site. They have tons of diagrams and helpful information along with some videos. If it were me, I'd change all fluids and filters with Kubota items including the transmission. Also check the front knuckle cases and the differential. You can reach the dip stick for it by reaching on top of it just under the front grill area. it is a grove around this dip stick that unscrews, so I'd blow it off real good so nothing falls in when you go to remove it. Messick's has Lots of good information and good folks there to do business with. https://www.messicks.com/ku/84865

Last edited:

Ronniebisme

thanks , I will do that . Getting results by year of the unit is hard it seems. Mine is technically the 2005 RTV 900 Recreation model. Ill call them in the morning for some direction as to years that have the same specs and part cross

Ronniebisme

also would like to know any information as to known issues, or how folks that own one use it /like it ?

type oil? Kubota filters /oil only or do other brands work as well?

Ronniebisme

got some time with her today oil filter /air/fuel filter change , general lubrication ect

Going to do trans and hydraulic tomorrow - any tips or cautions?

also looks like I have a split boot on the front axle , have to see how to fix that

adjusted parking brake but still not holding as good as I feel it should , took the adjustment up about all the way -thoughts

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Also may want to check the wheel differential lock when you have the side off. I noticed my lock pedal on the floor by my heel, was hard to push down so I cleaned up all the moving parts and was amazed at how they had gotten so stiff - after cleaning and a bit of lube it worked like butter. https://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/threads/unsticking-differential-lever.17929/
The shifter mechanism under the hood bonnet is the same way.

Ronniebisme

THANKS again, the grease fitting nipples on my unit are larger than my normal grease gun end will fit , is there a special tool I need I did search this time

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
On the rtv for long service life always use kubota sudtII AND none other brand. Use oem filters. Change the hst oil at least every second year unless you reach the service intervals in hours first. Don't wait for the hours. And if you must clean the engine transmission don't use water. Use compressed air.

Ronniebisme

yes , and I will Is there any grease fittings on this 05 RTV900 Cant find them if they are there , the ones I thought were actually bleed valves (duh)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Also keep a close eye on the engine cooling system. Never let it overheat or the head cracks. Usually just keep the crap blown out of the radiator and frequently check the expansion tank. Run it hard they like to run at 3800 rpm all the time for many many thousands of hours .

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
If yours has the rear axles with the cross shafts grease them regularly and get a coast valve or adjust the bypass for soft stops.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have just aquired a RTV900. I decoded VIN and determined it is a 2005. It has 581 original hours
If you don't mind saying, can you tell me what you paid for it?
I have a very low hour 2004 I've been thinking of selling but not sure what market value is nowadays.