Battery low charge

Beerskie

Has anyone had to replace the Alt cable to the bat. on a 2538 hst open station. My bat. gets low so no start. I checked the batt and it takes and holds the charge, and the alt is putting out as it should so that leaves the cable. It seems like a difficult change, but maybe just me. Thanks for any help!

Beerskie

I think I ckd he ground as I ckd the alt from the pos post to ground and the meter registered charge of 14.3 so I assume ground is good. correct me if I am wrong. Thanks or the input

Fedup

When the output positive post read 14.3, what did the battery post read? If it was the same, then the cable is not your problem. Maybe you need to look for a parasitic draw somewhere. First place to check would be the alternator positive post. (since you already know where it is) Remove the cable from the post, place your voltmeter positive lead on the cable end and the negative lead on the post. meter should read zero volts. (Engine off) The alternator could be charging properly, but draining the battery when not in use.

Beerskie

With the tractor running, I cked the batt. read 11.9. then chked from the pos post on alt to ground, read 14.3 so I figure the alt is putting out as required, but not getting to the bat. I'm going to ck the wire from alt to bat for bad connection, if they re good I think I can assume the cable might be bad. Your thoughts

Beerskie

When the output positive post read 14.3, what did the battery post read? If it was the same, then the cable is not your problem. Maybe you need to look for a parasitic draw somewhere. First place to check would be the alternator positive post. (since you already know where it is) Remove the cable from the post, place your voltmeter positive lead on the cable end and the negative lead on the post. meter should read zero volts. (Engine off) The alternator could be charging properly, but draining the battery when not in use.
I will also ck as you suggested for parasitic draw. thanks

Fedup

I'd run a jumper wire around the existing cable, then check that voltage again. If it checks out good, then yes, the cable is a problem. Without seeing it first hand I couldn't say where to look first, but probably where the eye is crimped onto the cable on one end or the other. I can't tell from here just how difficult it might be to replace the cable, but if it looks like a major task (as in the cable is all incorporated into a harness) I would consider just making a replacement and routing it in somewhere that looks safe. It's just a wire.

Smilingreen

Glad you found the problem. I have a carbon pile load tester that I use for diagnosing charging issues. It will tell you real quick if the problem is the battery, the alternator or a cable issue.

Beerskie

never heard o that. I do have a load tester that I use to put a load on a bat to test it, but I don't think it's capable of testing the alt, unless I don't know all of it's capabilities.