Yanmar Rototiller RS1400 for YM240 (YM2000)

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
This afternoon I stopped by sactotractors.com in Sacramento and bought a tiller. They have been advertising implements, new Howse stuff and imported tillers, on Craigslist/Sacramento. There was one old tiller, the model intended for my tractor, that they had considered was too rough to clean up for sale. 'It's over 30 years old!' the owner said. Looks fine to me! I've looked it over and I don't see any reason it won't till ok. It looks like it sat in a boneyard for a decade or so, however. A little bent around the ears but I can fix that.

For frankly a toy, the price was right. It is complete with driveshaft, rear crossbar, and spare tines, but they didn't have the wheels. They said this was one of the last models to have wheels so don't worry about it. I will make some if needed. I can't wait to try it out!

Also while I was there, they had an orphan Yanmar loader I considered buying for resale since the price was right. He said it came off a Yanmar F18 but will fit F195. Either would need a mount fabricated for it. There's a small bucket included. Mark, Ernie, should I get it or walk on by? How much is something like that worth?

Attachments

• P-1-1060263rTiller1.jpg
    P-1-1060263rTiller1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 79
  • P-1-10602694rTillerDecal1.jpg
    P-1-10602694rTillerDecal1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Mark777

California,

The wheels are great for parking, detaching-reattaching the lift arms and drive line....I hardly ever use the wheels when operating my tiller. They WILL anchor and dig when using the tiller in reverse.

As soon as you hook up the tiller you'll find it's anything but a Toy. I Promise you that! I purchased mine for much the same reason, it just happened to be there (opportunity) and thought "What the Heck".

Hope I don't boar anyone by telling the same story repeatedly, but mine saved me thousands of dollars when I installed it on the back of my little YM1401D. Our indigenous clay soil, mixed with crushed concrete, lime and several days of rain water made it nearly impossible to mix and compact the ingredients for a fairly large slab project (where my shop now sits). The rented D-3 Cat dozer and driver did poorly and continued to get stuck in the 'peanut butter like soil'. The third day I sent the D-3 driver home, and tried the remainder of that day to do what he only complained about....but with the same results. Enter the tractor-tiller combination. While my guys dug the perimeter beam, staked out and formed the foundation including the re-bar, I spent two ten hour days tilling the soil until it became firm and even.

The last of the wire mesh and re-bar was installed JUST as the first cement truck backed into my drive.........The combination of abrasives in the soil laterally polished the tines and lower sheet metal to look like chrome. And if anyone had operated the tractor-tiller they way I had, I would have jerked them from the seat and sent them packing (LOL).

That is a Kanzaki FEL. Beautifully engineered, stout and well sought after. If the price is a bargain I would say you couldn't go wrong. Especially if you park another tractor in the middle LOL. A good used loader is nearly impossible to find.

Good luck with your shopping.

Mark

This afternoon I stopped by sactotractors.com in Sacramento and bought a tiller. They have been advertising implements, new Howse stuff and imported tillers, on Craigslist/Sacramento. There was one old tiller, the model intended for my tractor, that they had considered was too rough to clean up for sale. 'It's over 30 years old!' the owner said. Looks fine to me! I've looked it over and I don't see any reason it won't till ok. It looks like it sat in a boneyard for a decade or so, however. A little bent around the ears but I can fix that.

Now ya got me envious, CA. What is the width on that tiller? Thats the kind of gear I like to find....course...I do fix mine up. :poke:;)

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now ya got me envious, CA. What is the width on that tiller?
The model #, RS1400, indicates 55.1 inches. (1,400mm.) Users say these till the full width inside the gearboxes, 57 inches. The dealer calls it a 4.5 ft tiller.

The decal on the tiller (see above) shows it was made for this specific tractor, which is known as YM2000 in Japan. YM240/YM2000 is 20 hp at the PTO.

What exactly would you fix? I haven't discovered any wear that would mean opening it up. I do intend to straighten the end covers and the wheel on top that adjusts elevation of the ground wheels. Just for appearances, you know. I wouldn't want anyone to know I bought used.

I found an excellent photo, down in post #15 of this thread Over There, showing the wheels. I got the back crossbar shown in that photo but not the wheels. The tiller in that photo doesn't look much better than mine!

These things should be indestructible in light amateur use, after reading Mark's story. Thanks Mark!

The model #, RS1400, indicates 55.1 inches. (1,400mm.) Users say these till the full width inside the gearboxes, 57 inches. The dealer calls it a 4.5 ft tiller.

The decal on the tiller (see above) shows it was made for this specific tractor, which is known as YM2000 in Japan. YM240/YM2000 is 20 hp at the PTO.

What exactly would you fix? I haven't discovered any wear that would mean opening it up. I do intend to straighten the end covers and the wheel on top that adjusts elevation of the ground wheels. Just for appearances, you know. I wouldn't want anyone to know I bought used.

Heavens anyone think you bought something used. :respect:Naaaa...not you.

Straigten those end panels and it will ......look....almost brand new. :whistle:

Now that one in the other thread I think beat yours. :D

All kidding aside CA, I think you got a good deal there on that tiller. If I could find one locally here I would jump on it. If it was a little smaller, that is. And that FEL you aughta jump on as well. If for nothing else, add a tractor to it and have a spare or to sell.

I hate Mondays. :fart2:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trouble is, I don't have any covered storage for it.

That last stall behind the Trooper in my sig photos is my workshop/tractor barn. I have work space for maintenance but not storage. (or painting).

I'm within 10 miles of the ocean so I can't store anything nice outside - when the fog rolls in, the salt in the air starts rust spots immediately.

I'm seriously thinking about building a whole barn/workshop out back but even a simple carport cover type structure will mean tearing out a row from the orchard, and the orchard is the whole point of this place.

Trouble is, I don't have any covered storage for it.

That last stall behind the Trooper in my sig photos is my workshop/tractor barn. I have work space for maintenance but not storage. (or painting).

I'm within 10 miles of the ocean so I can't store anything nice outside - when the fog rolls in, the salt in the air starts rust spots immediately.

I'm seriously thinking about building a whole barn/workshop out back but even a simple carport cover type structure will mean tearing out a row from the orchard, and the orchard is the whole point of this place.

Ouch and double ouch. No storage and salt air. Thats a double whammy I am glad I dont have. Well....I wouldnt mind being close to the ocean. But not without storage space. It doesnt look from your photos that you have much room for anything else...unless, like you say, you take a row of the trees. That would be a waste....
No room at the side of the house? Hmmmm that is a head scratcher.

By the way...I like your Trooper. My wife just got a Cherokee. And then the next day saw a Trooper that the dealer had moved down from another lot. The thing I like about them is their low fuel use compared to other SUV's. And the one the dealer had, looked pretty nice. But too late.

Just had a thought. What about a carport type cover off the front of the stalls there behind the trooper?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
...I like your Trooper. ... The thing I like about them is their low fuel use compared to other SUV's.
I loved that Trooper. But it got killed by a falling tree, not out at the orchard but home in town. The neighbor's tree shed a huge limb on it.

I owned it 16 years and it still looked like it was a year old. I take good care of my equipment when it is in good condition to start with. I wish I could find another in as nice condition. It would do anything and like you said, good mileage. I got 22 overall, and 20 towing my little 1500 lb tent trailer taking my kids all over the West - Yellowstone, Death Valley, Victoria BC, and many trips into the Sierras. I could always count on on 400 miles between refueling, with its 22+ gallon tank.

A couple of tips on those old Troopers today: 1988 was the first year for fuel injection and a heavier frame. Earlier ones were both underpowered and hard to keep in tune as they got older. Starting with the FI and its computer, they run like new for the life of the vehicle.

The 2.6l Isuzu 4 cylinder had both more hp and better economy compared to the V6, but today the 2.8l V6 can be repaired or replaced inexpensively since it is the standard Chevrolet V6 while I was told that the unique 4 cylinder would cost over $5k to go through.

The 2.6l Isuzu 4 cylinder had both more hp and better economy compared to the V6, but today the 2.8l V6 can be repaired or replaced inexpensively since it is the standard Chevrolet V6 while I was told that the unique 4 cylinder would cost over $5k to go through.

5k for a rebuild. Youch!!! Well, here is a photo of the one we saw. In fact, its still there. A 2003. Doesnt have the same look as yours since its an Axiom and I thought it was a trooper, but what the hay. Do they still make the Trooper?

Attachments

• isuzu.jpg
    isuzu.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 51

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do they still make the Trooper?
No longer sold in the US. The old flat-sided ones thru 1991?? were classics, simple and rugged like our Yanmars or a CJ Jeep. Well worth renovating indefinitely.

The second series (rounded body panels), got progressively heavier, more fuel, more expensive for routine maintenance until you might as well buy a Tahoe. The last 2 years, 2004??? they put Trooper badges on a Chevrolet SUV. Maybe that's what that Axiom is.

No longer sold in the US. The old flat-sided ones thru 1991?? were classics, simple and rugged like our Yanmars or a CJ Jeep. Well worth renovating indefinitely.

The second series (rounded body panels), got progressively heavier, more fuel, more expensive for routine maintenance until you might as well buy a Tahoe. The last 2 years, 2004??? they put Trooper badges on a Chevrolet SUV. Maybe that's what that Axiom is.

Ikay, that makes sense. Well, I am going to have my buddy look for one around 1990 age. He owns the car lot in question and being in the business has plenty of resources for locating things like that. I like the flat sided version alot better. Of course, my wifes opinion is, the newer the better, the fancier looking, the better. Maybe its a woman thing. :hide2:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
One last comment on the early Troopers: There was a too-small diesel option about 82-85. Never sold in California so I've only seen one, and that one was bad news. At the time it was 3 years old and the owner told me he was on his third engine at 30k miles. He told me he lived way up a mountain near Denver and ran it screaming its guts out for the 50% of his driving that was uphill. The little diesel couldn't take it. I've never seen another one. Not recommended.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ok, back on topic - the tiller.

I set it up and tried it out. It works great!

It feels like it's hardly working, making a 2.5" first cut using the '540' pto gear and low (1600) engine rpm, to see what's under the surface. Next I'll try '540' and 2200 engine rpm (that's the rated pto engine speed) and see how deep it will cut on a second pass. Also I'm curious to see if I can run any faster ground speed than low/1st gear.

I'm not sure I want to use the '1000' pto setting. That must pulverize the worms to raw protein.

Here's a small tryout. I cleared a berry bush with the loader. Then I started downhill in '540' gear, stopped after a few feet, and did a few more feet in '1000' pto gear. That made the soil like fine flour. This is visible in the photo. (Engine speed 1600 for both).

Not related, but look at the gorgeous weather! 65 degrees, not bad for mid November. Last week was like this, then a day of rain, then back to gorgeous. I love this place!

Attachments

• P-1-1060296rTillerHiLoExamp.jpg
    P-1-1060296rTillerHiLoExamp.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 153