Caterpillar 60 - from 80 years ago

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I took this photo at California State Fair in 2002. I think that was the last year it was there.

I've read that this was Caterpillar's first successful model, sold for many years beginning in 1919.

The elderly owner made it look like a gentle giant, maneuvering it around skillfully and precisely while it literally shook the ground.

DSCN2421rFairCat60.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No wonder they were successful. It looks tough, like a tank. :thumb:

Mith

Its hard to get an idea of how big some of these things are until you stand next to them.
At a show I went to the other week there was a guy pushing dirt around on a D8 or something, man, what a monster! There was another with a big logging arch, with a 3' diameter tree hanging off the back. Pretty wild :D
Its amazing how much work they do, gotta be a blast to operate.

mla2ofus

Its hard to get an idea of how big some of these things are until you stand next to them
Its amazing how much work they do, gotta be a blast to operate.

Yeah,Mith, they are a blast to operate. But after so many years they're hard on the body but not so much w/ the newer ones. I learned on the ones made from 1950 to 1970. Believe it or not,the bigger they are the easier to learn to run.
Mike

Pete

And NO hydraulics! Gears, chain and wire rope. Maybe a shear pin or two.

Rear mounted PTO with cable running through the overhead Headache Bar to the front dozer blade.

xPosTech

Welcome. Pete. :wave:

I thought we had a 'Welcome' smilie. Must be on that 'other' forum. :rolleyes:

This might be a switch...turn a tractor thread into an intro...

Pete you can post an intro in the Introduction forum. Maybe (heh) it won't get hijacked. Post some pictures of your tractor(s). Glad you found us.

Ted

shinnlinger

I was at a show this summer and saw a "TEN" and a "TWENTY"

I really like how it hauls it's own garage around with it.