Which Plow 2 Buy

stepheck

I just Bought an 1140 and am wondering what plow is the best. Would like to hear the why and why nots from other rtv owners. Thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have one but I can welcome you to the forum and congrats on your new RTV!

Others will jump in with the info you seek. There's a lot of threads on the subject so a search should get you some nice reading material in the meantime.

Art454

I have a Blizzard snow plow on my 1100.
No problems with it....a lot better than my curtis was on my ex 900.

Art

cpsseals

I've got the Kubota Commercial Straight Blade (#V4290) and I love it. Can't imagine anything doing a better job.

Attachments

• IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 657

Kanook

Have a Blizzard on my RTV900. Very robust unit. Self contained Hydraulics powered by 12vdc from RTV. Positive down pressure...I like it!

Kanlan and others make a V-plow configuration that could prove useful in certain applications..

Attachments

• 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 648

stepheck

Thanks for all the replys guys. Others I have talked with have liked the Blizzards ...Kubota...and Boss plows.

razerface

i have a Boss V plow. I have owned it for 2 snowstorms. I plow around a lot of stuff, and constantly am changing angles of the blade. I love that power V, I cannot imagine not having an adjustable V plow now.

The only thing that could make it better is downpressure.

It is self contained,,using 12 volt from the rtv. The wings are power out and spring return. The feet are extra, costing 38 bucks each. There are no lights on the plow. It does block the headlights,,so you must have other work lights. I have kubotas on top and they work very well.

It lifts very high, allowing you to pile the snow high. The breakover is adjustable.

Hookup is approx 1 minute.

I also have a winch mounted, which does not interfere with the Boss plow.

I am very happy with it. I have $3250 in it.

Last edited:

c0ke

I also have the blizzard plow (720lt model. You can get the 680lt which is 6 foot 8 inch). I love my blizzard plow. You definitely want roof lights for plowing. You probably would find it easier to find a used blizzard plow (680lt or 720lt) plow cheaper then the boss or kanlan because the blizzards are older and were also used for light duty vehicles (jeep or small truck) where the boss is used more for utility vehicles and is fairly new. I think I got my 720lt with wiring for around $1200 then just needed the mount.

Good luck

fishguts

i seen how the kubota plows didnt hold up at work thankfully. you take a look at the construction of one of them and a boss and you will be amazed in the diffrence. get a boss. heres mine and ive been using it for 2 years now without problems.

001-25.jpg

oldhat

Site Supporter
I picked up a northman snow plow the last time I was in Colorado. It was for a jeep. The man sold the jeep but still had the plow. He wanted to get rid of it, and I got it for $100.00 I repaired the plow and put a coat of paint on it and made it fit the 1100 Kubota. Still working on a way to use the PTO cable I put in the Kubota to operate the gate for my seed spreader. I want it to operate the pin realease for the blade angle. It takes two 96 inch hydralic hoses to get from the rear conectors to the front. Cost $105.00 . Hydralic fittinge from Kubota $124.00 . Hydralic cylinder $125.00 . I used it today for the first time and worked great. No bugs to work out.
oldhat

Attachments

• kubota snow blade1.JPG
    kubota snow blade1.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 636
  • kubota snow blade2.JPG
    kubota snow blade2.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 631

Cliff69

I have the Curtis Plow made for Kubota, it works great, for the price it's a damn good plow IMO. With the heavy duty springs it rides great. I have had and still have Boss plows, HEAVY but a great plow.... #1 in my book. I have a Boss plow on an old truck I'm going to take off buy me a quick mount plate and weld the Boss to it and I can use the Hydrolics of the Tractor. But for a foot or less snow the RTV with the Curtis Plow does better than I thought.

Art454

I have the Curtis Plow made for Kubota, it works great, for the price it's a damn good plow IMO. With the heavy duty springs it rides great. I have had and still have Boss plows, HEAVY but a great plow.... #1 in my book. I have a Boss plow on an old truck I'm going to take off buy me a quick mount plate and weld the Boss to it and I can use the Hydrolics of the Tractor. But for a foot or less snow the RTV with the Curtis Plow does better than I thought.

Mine worked good to.....but that electric lift that kubota used took more time going up and down then plowing the snow.......lol
I bought a electric atv winch mounted that and it was up and down in 5 seconds.
I had the angle kit too which was kinda slow and had to disconnect it to raise the box then hook it up for the blade again which was a pain if the connector hyd. lock...which happened more than a few times.

Cliff69

Art454

Mine goes up faster than that, I would say mine is up all the way in 2...3 seconds at most. Maybe you got a bad motor, or I got a crazy fast one. I've used heavy equipment most of my life and this Curtis plow seems well worth the money to me, not that it's heavy equipment but saves me from having to get out the big plow for small jobs like my 500 foot drive.

Yea I wish I would have got the full hydrolics on mine. I will buy another one some day and now I know what I would want, HAHA My hydrolics are super fast, I mean it will slam into position if I hit the arm all the way kinda scary fast. I have allot to learn about this RTV but am learning allot as I go forward.

I have also learned a ton......off this forum, super folks and willing to help, just don't get any better than that. I have not seen one Troll since I've been here, well done to the Admin's!!!!

Cliff

mrquettfan

Hi Art,

Can I trouble you to send me some pictures of the back of your plow please?
I am trying to get some ideas on stiffening/framing the back of a plow skin and in need of some ideas and details. Also looking for how it mounts to the push tube.
Thank you!!

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I had the Curtis plow and used it for 4 years doing my driveway and the neighbors. Had a great time, learned allot about plowing and enjoyed every minute. Not the most robust plow, but lighter than most and still worked great.

CPSSEAL, how does your plow hook up to the hydraulics or are they separate with that straight plow configuration?

Attachments

• IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 520

cpsseals

They hook up via a relay that uses the rear dump hydraulics and the lever for the box. I can't use the dump feature when I've got the blade hooked up.

Last edited:

kobe

Regarding the slow lift on the Curtis I thought mine was fast, so I just went out and timed it. Down about two and a half seconds. Up about three. I don't remember my tractors being any faster. The manual angle you do have to dismount for but it is as smooth as glass and only takes a few seconds to accomplish.I am sure that a lot of you guys can justify the hydralics and the angle blades but for me the Curtis was a "Best Buy" On and off in a couple of minutes and dump it in the barn for at least nine months a year~~KOBE