Filter Used Oil

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
How are some of you filtering your used oil ?

Attachments

• Smiley Batting Two.gif
    Smiley Batting Two.gif
    34 KB · Views: 224

urednecku

I have never had a need to filter. Might use it to paint a wooden gate, pour on a post or wood fence, or just pour it in a brush pile I'm fixin' to burn. OR, I might pour it back in container & some day return to the store.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
How are some of you filtering your used oil ?
Well here in California the stuff contains carcinogens. :yuk: So I take mine to Autozone's collection point. I used to use some to start burn piles, but now we shred the orchard pruning debris back into the soil.

As for filtering - I've thought about filtering my used hydraulic oil into a barrel to settle for a year or two then re-using it. Seems to me that dust and water would be the only contaminants, and those should settle out. I still wouldn't try to run this stuff through diesel injectors.

Did anyone read that lubricity research referenced above? It said 2-cycle oil improves fuel lubricity but used motor oil doesn't.

micpib1

To answer your question "an oil filter" might work, haha. My father tried using his used motor oil in his diesel tank for several years, after several injector and pump problems showing black tary deposits, he stopped. JH

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Around here, much of it is given to friends who use waste oil heaters (furnaces). You go until you have a 55 gallon drum nearly full then give it to the guy and he gives you an empty. It's a much appreciated thing around here as many of those that get the oil can't afford heating oil to keep their house and family warm.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Around here, much of it is given to friends who use waste oil heaters (furnaces). You go until you have a 55 gallon drum nearly full then give it to the guy and he gives you an empty. It's a much appreciated thing around here as many of those that get the oil can't afford heating oil to keep their house and family warm.

This is so good !!!!!:tiphat:

vintovka

The ARB here In CA would defecate several cinder blocks if they caught you doing that. They also make you give personal info when you take it for "proper" disposal. I still think it winds up in presto logs and gets burned anyway.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
OR,

Should ask, how do you filter your oil to add to diesel for lubricatioin ?:drink:

in a pich i run it through a few coffee filters but thats rare i normally just put it in the empty containers of new oil i just put in and use it for my chainsaw instead of buying bar oil.that bar oil is like 10.00 a gallon where as i can just use up the old motor oil and it will last me all year. my cummins takes almost 3 gallons of oil per oil change so i get a nice stck pile of it at every oil change.stick with tcw-3 two stroke oil for the fuel tank .

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm sure people in other parts of the country wonder why California has so many rules about air pollution. It's not state government going nuts and creating unreasonable standards, rather it is elected representatives responding to their constituents demands that the state Do Something! about the air pollution they are choking on.

In Los Angeles there are days when kids can't go out for recess.

This picture is a normal smoggy summer day showing downtown Sacramento, the state capitol, taken from the nearby foothills of the Sierras. California's central valley traps its own smog plus that which blows over from the (greater population) San Francisco Bay Area. All that smog stacks up against the western slope of the Sierras and lingers for days.

Los Angeles smog is worse. Same geography, a closed basin that breezes can't escape, and some 20 million people down there all driving around.

SacSmog9-21-11.jpg

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
jeeze thats some nice clean air you got there.kinda looks like down here when they burn the canefields or marsh.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i wonder if they ever tested the smoke trail from the shuttle being launched .that thing puts out more smoke than all the cars and trucks in the whole country in a few seconds after it launches.i think they need a nice extra large midas muffler system on the shuttle.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No longer an issue Peanut as we don't have a Space Shuttle program anymore. We have to catch a ride with the Russians.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
your right i forgot about that. i guess they figured it was cheaper to pay a taxi rather than just own the car and drive themselves there.

vintovka

Why?

Most are EPA approved and don't emit anything more or worse then most any other oil based furnace.

Sorry the state of California disagrees and actively regulates well beyond its borders in all areas

CA considers itself a nation onto itself. Its rules exceed most of those in US. Only firearms, cars etc approved by the state are allowed for sale and even the idea of burning an identified "toxic substance" in CA is inconceivable.

The sad part is the environment is lost, not because of human technology, but because of sheer over population.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep. California (the State, not our moderator/member) has its own way of doing things. The rest of us scratch our heads sometimes. We all have stickers plastered all over our "stuff" that says something to the effect of "Not to be sold in California. Does not meet California specifications for xxxxxxx".

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sorry the state of California disagrees and actively regulates well beyond its borders in all areas

CA considers itself a nation onto itself. Its rules exceed most of those in US. Only firearms, cars etc approved by the state are allowed for sale and even the idea of burning an identified "toxic substance" in CA is inconceivable.

The sad part is the environment is lost, not because of human technology, but because of sheer over population.
People sure have some funny ideas about California. It is big, comparable to say Italy in economic output, bigger than Japan and I think UK in land area. Issues that have to be faced here really are nation-sized.

Like my photo above showed - because there are so many people, problems become acute here earlier than less populated states. So there is demand by the citizens on our state government to devise a remedy, often before the issue has become a nationwide issue that Congress will get involved in. As these same problems appear in other areas, those states then adopt California standards instead of duplicating the research to come to the same remedies. This doesn't mean California dictated to those states. And this works both ways. California, Pennsylvania, and Texas all have top quality research and technical standards for highway building, for example. California often adopts these other states standards.

Now if people would just quit moving to California! There were 8 million of us when I was born, today the population is 38 million. (Compare to Canada 34 million, Australia 22 million.)

Please - stay where you are, burn your toxic waste there, not here. We have reached overload.

:D

Last edited:

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
thats why i will never move to nor visit calinornia or any other state that has regulations likt that and gun laws that restrict me from carrying my gun. how long has california been havin them strict regulations?has the smog ever gotten better?it's a coatal town and smog is just one of the things you have to deal with.we got smog down here but we are smart and call it what it is "fog" it rolls in with the humid air from the waters of the gulf and add the smoke from the refineries and trucks and cars and it makes it worst.not to mention the marsh fires and every year after they harvest the cane they burn the fields somedays you can't even see where your drivin it's so bad. california could switch over to a total electric state meaning cars too and not have one single fuel burning car and the smog will still be there .