My new old 240D has some issues. Please, ideas, suggestions, input needed.

splat55

Hey Ohio,
You know, I'm not sure if it's actually coming out in the area of the boot....or lower, but you've got a good point....I didn't even think of it, but like any trans or diff, they do all have vents to release the pressures built up when operating. I'll check it out. And as for the " prescription med cap ".....I love that idea!! I'm going to start rummaging through the medicine cabinet right now! Cool.....Thanks Ohio!

Brian, if you're seeing fluid at the shifter boot, check the vent tubes on the rear axle, they may be clogged. They are a U shaped tube sticking up out of the axle housing. As for the thermostart bowl and lid, check out some prescription meds caps. I had one that snapped on perfectly. Worked for me.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's the trans 'strainer' on hoye's site:

http://www.hoyetractor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=2000HYDRAULIC
17-HYD-1700.jpg

5 (screen), and the stiffeners (6,9) are now sold as a unit. The o-ring goes on the shoulder between 5 and 6.

Look for that triangular cover plate (7). On my 2wd it is right where your front driveline comes out and the triangle plate covers a chamber where the large hydraulic line meets the transmission.

My ym240 book calls this screen 'early' and it's the one used on YM2000 and also my (1980??) YM240. Since yours is the final series YM240 it might use the 'late' screen that has a threaded nut in the end (or something like that) and would be available only from Yanmar-USA. Danny Parker (PEQ, with the ugliest home page you ever saw) and Leonard Schaffer (Town and Country something) are legitimate Yanmar-USA Parts dealers. I've dealt with both, service was fine. Expect to pay twice what gray market replica parts cost!

splat55

Hey Thanks California,
Again, I guess I am showing my " noobieness "....I forgot to look at the YM 2000 parts breakdown on the Hoye site.
So, it sounds as though it's possible that I have a little different filter screen assy in my tractor than you have in yours. Is it possible to pull that triangular plate and look at the filter....without loosing a ton of H-Oil? Or, worst case, if I have to pull it out to take a look, can it be cleaned or just re-installed if the O-ring is still good? The object is to see which filter/screen assy I need and if possible put it back together until I get which ever assy I need. Man, I'm really hoping I have the same filter assy as you....I hate getting bent over for parts.....Thanks again.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
No way to inspect the filter screen without losing all the oil. That IS the drain point.

The strainer is simply fine wire mesh. Its supposed to be cleaned and reinstalled (with a new o-ring and paper gasket) as part of a regular maintenance program, then replaced at some (high) number of hours. But mine was cemented in solid by an oversize and melted/swollen o-ring that was vulcanised (cemented) to both the filter and the transmission housing, due to age. I expect your screen might come out in pieces too.

Look in your parts book and see if the later filter starts from a Serial Number below yours.

splat55

California,
Okay, when you say S/N.....are you talking about the tractor S/N....or the engine S/N. Since I'm easily confused....I went out to my tractor and wrote both down in my manual so I'd have them to refer to if needed again. I actually just saw Tractor S/N on the left fender for the first time. Anyway, if you don't mind, I'd like to PM you with my Tractor #s and Engine #s cause I'm pretty confused at this point as it seems my S/N is an early #...but just not sure. Let me know if it's okay to PM you with that info and maybe you can help me figure this out when you have time. Thanks.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
okay to PM you with that info and maybe you can help me figure this out when you have time. Thanks.
Sure, no problem.

Here are some photos for your entertainment:

Engine SN (stamped above dipstick, next to starter) and engine model plate.
P1160533rYMEngNum.jpg

Tractor SN by operator's left ankle.
P1160531rYMSerialNum.jpg

Hydraulic strainer, after a battle to the death to get it out.
IMG_5783r-YM-HydraulicFilter.jpg

Opening where the hydraulic strainer goes in. On my 2wd, it is right where a 4x4's front driveline would go.
IMG_5792rYMTransFilterOpening.jpg

I made an error in a post above. These photos brought back a better recollection of what I did: Only the screen assembly is available. I had to re-use the spiral spring and that u-shaped rod that goes inside it. (Post #62 Parts 6 and 9.) The purpose for both is to to resist crushing the screen, by suction from the hydraulic pump.

When I got my strainer out, all three components had been soldered into a single assembly. (Apparently a previous owner's "reconditioning"). I had to dismantle that mess and clean up the two inner parts to use with my new strainer.

Last edited:

splat55

Hey Guys,
Okay, well, I'm still working on the tractor, a little progress each day. The last couple of days not a lot done, but I did get the engine oil and filter changed......man, it needed it....although the level of the oil was fine, the oil had seen much better days....but not recently. Funny thing....last week I'd run a little WD or some other lube down around the key...just to see if I could get it out. No luck until Monday night....then it pretty much popped right out. Of course, then I put the key back in and it wouldn't turn the ignition....my luck. So, I pulled the ignition and worked it with the key, more WD, blasted it with some air, then some electronics cleaner, WD, key....etc. Had it working again and feeling like new in about 10 minutes. Blew some more air through it and let it set over night...and blew it out again the next morning, installed it and works great. Pulled the fuse cover...just to see if I had any blown links cause I didn't have headlights or that rear light. Yup.... 1 blown...15A. So I installed a 15A that a member had sent me. I then had headlamps, but no rear lamp...took the cover off the rear lamp and like an idiot, wiggled the wire that runs to the back of the bulb.....naturally, it was loose, hit ground and pooof....I was the proud owner of another blown 15A link. Pulled the whole light apart, found that the little plastic thing that keeps the lead wire in contact with the back of the bulb had rotted in the center allowing the lead wire to pull out the back of the socket and rattle around in the light housing. So, got some 2 part epoxy, mixed a tiny bit, ran the wire through the plastic thing then filled the oversize hole and let it set. Light works great now....I installed a 10A link and it seems to be holding. Unfortuneately, that light has been wired so when ever the key is on, the light is on. Rather than rewire it so it it comes on when the headlamps are on, I'm thinking of just installing a toggle switch back there near the light, maybe on the inward side of the fender where it drops down behind the seat. Or is that lame? Should I just rewire it back up front to maybe the headlamp hot on the " out " side of the fuse box? Anyway, my high beams aren't working, but the rear light and my low beams are working. I dropped the light switch, disconnected the high beam wire from the switch and tested the high beam terminal....nothing..so it much be in the switch. Those look like they might be serviceable...but that's another day.
Okay, another thing I've noticed the last few days. The temp light. Sometimes it comes on when I turn the key to the on position....sometimes not. Sometimes it comes on while using the tractor...but the tractors not hot. I know this only because it might come on 15 seconds after starting the tractor first thing in the AM. Yesterday the light was on and the tractor hadn't even had a chance to warm up...I opened the hood, disconnected the wire to the sending unit....light was still on. I'm confused.....but it sounds like either a short.....or...???
One other thing I noticed yesterday. That upper trans leak...It seems to leak when I put the trans in hi range.....but not low. So, as another member suggested, I checked the vent lines, seems there are 2 of them on each side just under the seat. It was late in the afternoon, so all I really did was try and blow through them. 1 I immediately noticed was plugged at the end of the rubber tubing...so I dug out the dirt, tried blowing into it....nothing. Tried sucking on the hose...nothing. Except for the obvious dirt in the hose, the other side was the same way...no air passing either direction. So, tomorrow morning I'm attacking those 2 vents to see if the vent hoses are blocked or if the vent tubes themselves are blocked. Nothing but fun, huh?
The other thing I did today, besides put the tractor to work, was fixed those dang step plate things...you know, the ones your feet rest on...but rattle pretty much any time your feet aren't on them. Pulled them out and it seems the rubber insolators were mostly gone...a couple of them still there...but shot. Again, with 2 part epoxy, I cut and installed some strips of dense cork gasket material the same size as the mounts with thin layer of the epoxy in a couple spots....just to hold the cork material. then sat the steps back into position and from below installed springs just a bit longer than the pins that hold the steps/floors in place. Then a washer pushed up compressing the springs just far enough to put new cotter keys in. It works great...feels great and best of all, no rattles at all.
Well, that's it for now. Going to have more questions soon....Hey, I've got one now...Is there a way to bleed the hydraulics for the front loader? It bleeds down fairly quickly and I don't know if there might be air in the lines or why it would start to drop. The rear hydraulics don't drop at all. Any ideas?
Hey California....did ya get those S/N's I sent ya? Did you make anything out with them?
Hoping for more progress tomorrow.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Put a toggle switch anywhere you feel comfortable using it to turn the rear light off and on as needed.

If the temp light is on with the wire disconnected, it's a short in the wire somewhere. The light comes on when the sensor "grounds out". Make sure it's the temp light and not a coolant level light though.

As much as you've run the tractor lately, I'd doubt if it's air in the hydraulic system. Sounds like a leaking seal in the rams on the FEL or possibly an o-ring in the FEL control.

splat55

Hey Ohio....
Ya know......I'd read a post recently about the temp vs. coolant level light and someone suggested the same thing as you have....to make sure that it's a temp sender and not a coolant level sensor. Guess I'd better check the manual and see if there's anything specific. I know the sender is sitting on the top of the water pump...so I assumed it was a temp unit....but, again, I'm new to the tractor stuff. I'll take a closer look.
So you don't think it's air in the system, huh? I've used the tractor alot lately....but honestly, I haven't used the FEL much at all since I got the tractor. And actually, the only time I use it is when I'm driving it and the buckets getting closer to the ground...then I just bump it up a couple feet....that's about the extent of my use of the front hydraulics. I did suspect that I had a leak in one of the rams.....but since the day I saw fluid leaking, it hasn't leaked any. Any suggestions as to how I can begin trouble shooting the front hydraulics? I'm really not familiar with tractor hydraulics at all nor any of the controls and how they work. Any suggestions are appreciated. And thanks again.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
..rear lamp.. . has been wired so when ever the key is on, the light is on. Rather than rewire it so it it comes on when the headlamps are on, I'm thinking of just installing a toggle switch back there
Do you have the Operating or Parts manuals? The wiring diagram shows a switch in the rear light.
Okay, another thing... The temp light. ...I opened the hood, disconnected the wire to the sending unit....light was still on.
The temp sensor shorts to ground when overheated; the lamp is off the rest of the time. So your wire has to be accidentally shorted to ground somewhere.
One other thing... trans leak...I checked the vent lines, seems there are 2 of them on each side just under the seat.
I think those only vent each brake enclosure. Blowing in air should meet resistance since those are sealed cavities.

The vent you need to clear is under the rear-center of the seat, near the vertical bolt that holds the back end of that coil spring. There should be a J-shaped vent pipe coming out of the top of the transmission there. Removing the transmission dipstick (Yellow plastic cap, above the tractor serial number. see my photo) should allow air to escape when you blow air into that rear vent.
The other thing I did today, besides put the tractor to work, was fixed those dang step plate things...you know, the ones your feet rest on...but rattle It works great...feels great and best of all, no rattles at all.
Yeah! I had forgotten, but I did the same on mine. I used rubber sheet material that has adhesive on both sides, between the footpads and their mount brackets. (roof patch material). Big improvement!
..Is there a way to bleed the hydraulics for the front loader?
I've read that three full up/down cycles will purge all the air back to the reservoir.
Hey California....did ya get those S/N's I sent ya?
The chart below is from the Parts Manual. I can't make your numbers fit the chart. But I'm still convinced that your external air cleaner and hood decal mark it as Series 4.

YM-DesignChange#Chart800.JPG

Last edited:

splat55

Hey California and all of you guys that have been helping me out,
Well, still making progress.
California, thanks for touching base on all my questions. I had looked at the wiring schematic in the Ops manual....but that's what I found strange....is that I guess this light never had the switch installed......cause there is still what looks like a factory rubber plug in the bottom rear of the light housing..and under the plug it also says " off - on ".....so I guess it just never got installed in the housing...strange.
As far as the temp sensor goes....well, I topped off the over flow....up to the " full " mark, checked the radiator again, and it is still full of coolant.....but my light is still working when it wants. As I stated before. I may turn on the ignition and it won't be on. Or, it will be on and after starting the tractor, it will still be on. Sometimes it will go out after starting the tractor as it should, but then may come on a minute later..or an hour later....then go out again. Sometime if flickers.....So, I think both you and I are right on as far as there being a short. Naturally, if it were working right, disconnecting the wire when the light is on would normally cause the light to go out...that told me there was a short. So, guess I will be tracing that wire.....just glad it's not long nor is it hidden anywhere. Should be an easy fix. Might just run a new wire.
The brake vents, I just pulled the hoses, made sure they were clear since one wasn't and put them back on. The " J " shaped vent was clear.
I think your " 3 full cycles " of the front hydraulics helped out a lot! I'd thought about doing that since that is the way you bleed p/s units in most cars.....or anything that has a resevoir with a place to bleed off air.
I just wasn't sure if I should go the " full cycles " cause when the FEL is all the way down, it lifts the front tires of the tractor off of the ground....didn't know how good that was for the hydraulics. But went for it anyway, and now it seems to be holding it's own. I've got to check it out better tomorrow cause I didn't have time today. But if it's bleeding down, it's much much slower than it was before.
I saw the chart you attached to the post.....and I'd seen that one also, and like you, I couldn't make my S/N work. I'll look at it again tomorrow just to double check the numbers and try to get a better look at the flat on the side of the case that should have the S/N stamped in it. It just seems weird that my S/N doesn't seem to fit. Anyone had any experiences with that?
Well, today I was luck enough to find out my tires are already filled with water...or some solution....and both have about the same amount. I busted a valve stem core this morning trying to take it out like I did the other side a couple weeks ago. Naturally, today didn't go as smooth as the first one I did. Had to make a special trip to town just to get a stem core, no biggie...but had the tractor parked right in front of the garage when the stem broke, so is I didn't get it fixed, my wife wouldn't be able to get her car in, and I wasn't going to be able to get our little DYT out of the garage to get any work done. Anyway, all is fine again and I feel that I'm getting somewhere on the tractor....feeling good about it too and enjoying it. My 12 year old daughter was pretty bummed when I first told her we were going to be getting a tractor instead of an old car, truck or hot rod to put back on the road. It's the first time in her 12 years that we haven't had some old hot rod, and the first time in over 33 years for me not to building and driving one. But, now she really digs the tractor and working on it.
Anyway, Thanks California and all you guys for the help....we are slowly getting there.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
splat, that's what this forum is here for. Sharing ideas and helping out.
Yeah. We love em all, new, old, and antiques like these Yanmars. I don't know if Ohio let on, but he owned one at one time too.

It's amazing how a little tinkering can reveal a good solid tractor under years of minor, ignored 'deferred maintenance' issues.

I think these things are destined to be classics like the 60 year old Ford, Ferguson, and Massey tractors that are still running today. A few minutes ago I looked at a Massey 35 and 202 (1950's??) that appeared ready to put right to work.

I've forgotten if it was discussed here or elsewhere, but these older Yanmars don't have warning lights for low coolant or battery water level like the later Yanmars.

Just lights for Oil and Alt, that should light when the key first goes on, and Temp that should never light except as a boilover warning. (I think around 235-245 degrees). Mine NEVER lights, after I learned to rinse mowing chaff out of the radiator fins, as needed. It should be tested occasionally. Slip the connector up at the temp sensor and apply a grounded wire there. That should force the light on.

Pushing the loader down to raise the front of the tractor won't hurt anything. There's a pressure relief valve that will squeal when the hydraulics are overloaded. (And the squeal doesn't hurt anything either.)

Mark, thanks for your recent comments on the injector pump system. That's way over my head, I'm simply a pleased owner while you are a broad-scope Yanmar guru!

splat55

Glad to hear it won't hurt anything lifting the the tractor with the FEL.....it even may come in handy at times. I'll test that temp sender tomorrow and see if I can find anything out.
Okay, I've got some pretty newbie questions....a couple that have been haunting me. First...I know the brake pedals can be operated independently of each other, but since I've had the tractor, I've been using the swing gate thing that makes them work together. What are the circumstances where you would use the brakes independently as opposed to using both brakes at the same time.
Also, to shift from hi range to low...or vice versa, should the trans already be in a gear....or does it matter. And, do you need to use the clutch to use the hi-low selector?
Well, I guess that's it for now.....Man, I've got a couple of trans issues to start on.....and then, besides figuring the temp gauge out.....I may actually not have any issues to work on. Well, maybe a few hoses to replace soon. Oh, tomorrow I order the rops......wooohoooo..Hey, California, I'd sure like to see how you mounted those items you use to haul chains around, shovels, etc.
Has anyone mounted anything to care smaller tools....like mounting a rack between the fenders or somewhere to carry a gallon or 2 of fuel, maybe a hachet or axe and other small items. Just a thought. Thanks all.

splat55

I forgot to mention California, I know what you mean about the older tractors. Now that I've got a tractor, I've been looking at some older stuff too. I recently sold our 60 year old Dodge...and being an " old metal " guy at heart...cars or anything with a motor, I've been toying with the idea of just finding an old...old tractor to mess with...although, having just gotten the Yanmar....my wife would pitch a fit if I mentioned my interest in another tractor. She's already succumbed to my request about bringing home another old car, and that wasn't easy....and hopefully in a month of so there will be a '37 Chevy Sedan here for me to start getting back on the road. If it weren't for old vehicles.....of any kind....she'd be mad cause I'd be gone fishin' all the time.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
What are the circumstances where you would use the brakes independently
To force a tight turn. In my orchard where I disc or mow up one side of a row of trees then return on the other side of the same trees, locking one brake is the only way to bring the nose around short enough. Particularly on disced, fluffy soil, turning the steering wheel just makes it plow big ruts with the front tires with little change of direction. Your 4x4 should turn better, the front wheels will pull the nose around. My 2wd is ballasted to as much weight on the rear drive tires as possible and the front can just dance along with minimal steering control, when the disc is pulling hard.
Also, to shift from hi range to low...or vice versa, should the trans already be in a gear....or does it matter. And, do you need to use the clutch to use the hi-low selector?
Full stop, clutch in, wait for the gears to spin down for ANY change of gears. Including engaging the PTO. (but that seems to have the only syncro on the whole tractor.) Double-clutching while moving is strongly discouraged. I find it impossible, except coasting along on smooth asphalt.
Hey, California, I'd sure like to see how you mounted those items you use to haul chains around, shovels, etc.
Has anyone mounted anything to care smaller tools....like mounting a rack between the fenders or somewhere to carry a gallon or 2 of fuel, maybe a hachet or axe and other small items.
You would laugh if you saw my carry attachments up close. Those are simply thrift-store golf-club bags, lashed to the tractor with a couple ft of 12/3 house wiring. I also have a couple of canvas rigger bags (actually travel agency freebies) lashed on next to each elbow for pruners, folding saw, water bottle, etc. A laptop carry case would work for that too. I haven't found a good spot to put on an ammo can or toolbox.
toying with the idea of just finding an old...old tractor to mess with...
Careful with that. Ford, Ferguson, Massey made tractors that are rational to apply to today's tasks. There is a lot of other old iron out there that is really not suitable for any application that you or I would do, and a lot of it is real dangerous as well. Look before you jump.

These Yanmars are well designed and are not at all obsolete by today's standard. Just a little limited such as the non-syncro transmission, and darned noisy!
hopefully in a month of so there will be a '37 Chevy Sedan
Do it! I was a bit of a celebrity in HS with a 37 Chev coupe, with a tweaked 265 (55 Chev V8) in it. Or at least the car was. It looked totally stock except the rear axle was a little wide (from a 47 Olds w overdrive, I think a 4.33 ratio) and wider rear tires. Cad/LaSalle floor-shift close-ratio 3 speed. (That was a long time ago!) I wish I still had my 36 Ford coupe. ($50!!!) I knew it was an unrecognized classic but I couldn't afford multiple cars back then.

Last edited:

billbill1

I had a little "B" Allis back in the 80's, it was fun to play with but other than running the belly mower or towing something, it was of little value. Hand crank only to start it but it started very easily. I sold it for $400 when I got divorced, I think I had around $300 invested. My son has a 34 Ford sedan in the shed right now, it was my Dad's and he bought it from my Mother. All original, he has the wheels pulled right now getting them sandblasted so he can paint them before putting new tires on the rims. Still starts and runs but he doesn't mess with it too often. Dad drove it in the local parades so for the past 40 years it has seen limited action. Pretty cool old car with the suicide doors on the rear. Flat head V8, real powerful old engine. 3 speed on the floor and the starter pedal on the floor. The windshield cranked out forward for cooling the passengers.

splat55

Hey California....thanks for all the info again. I suspected that the object of separate braking was for turning....much like a track vehicle. So, I'm probably better with keeping the braking together since, in most cases I won't need tight turns....and probably safer not to use them separately because most of the work I will be doing won't be on flat land. And thanks for that info on changing gears.....I had a suspicion that all had to come to a stop and let the gears wind down......and I'll tell ya, I've become pretty comfortable coming to a complete stop before doing just about anything.....mostly because the tractor is new to me and I haven't figured everything out yet. So, I'm actually getting into a good habit by stopping and thinking things out first. I know in my younger, dumber days....I'd probably not have the patience I have today. And I'm sure I have the patience today mostly because I know I don't heal as fast, so I'm real cautious. :hide:
Hey, golf bags, huh? Good idea....I may have to hit up some of the local thrift stores or (reluctantly) go with my wife and daughter one of these days when they go to yard sales. Once I get the rops.....I'll figure a way to hang something on it without any mods to the rops so I don't threaten it's integrity. But, I like the golf bag idea....especially for long handle tools!
As far as the '37....yeah, they are a cool body style...and although I like some earlier models as well.....Chevy had stopped using wood in the body, doors, etc. when the '37 began production....and if you've ever worked on a car with wood in the doors for strengthening you probably know what a pain it can be to get doors that work and close properly. Even new wood kits for the earlier Chevys are not only expensive, but still require a ton of work to get things right....too much for me anymore. I'll keep ya posted if we decide to bring this one home. Oh, and more pics of the tractor on the way once the rops is installed. Thanks again California

splat55

Hey Bill,
Yeah, although I'm a GM man.....those '34s were pretty cool. I've never put one together for myself, but have helped a couple of guys with getting theirs back on the road after many years of neglect. Anymore, your lucky to even find 1 car that can be put back on the road without aquiring a 2nd or 3rd car for parts. I thank the Lord plenty for the patience my wife has for me cause there have been a few vehicles that I've had to buy complete parts vehicles so I could complete 1 car. Luckily, we've got a small property not far from our home that I can stash the spare cars on until I can break the news to my wife that I had to buy a parts car....

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
So, I'm probably better with keeping the braking together since, in most cases I won't need tight turns....and probably safer not to use them separately because most of the work I will be doing won't be on flat land.

That's a very smart thought. Only use them separately when you really intend to use it that way. If you left them independent and mistakenly hit one pedal when meaning to push both, you could do some damage to the tractor or the side of the barn, whichever is softer.

Yes I did own a Yanmar at one time. It was a YM1700 which be a close match to the YM195. Just a tad smaller engine size than yours, but basically the same. I guess that's why I'm still interested in them, they are great.