Changes are coming: New Forum Software on Sept 15, 2020

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Changes are in the wind.
Many have seen the server busy try again later error message. I have bumped up the threshold so that it does not show up as much but when we get to that threshold the server will crash. I have made the decision to migrate to new software that will offer quite a few advantages. It works much better with mobile devices. It lets you add more than one pic at a time and it's what I'd call a cleaner design. It is faster since it runs the current supported version of PHP; so all the errors that are causing the server issues now should go away. Downside, it's different. Nobody likes change, including me. I have painted us into a corner trying to avoid change and now is the time I have to bust through the wall to another room. I have been working with this software this past week and now I find it similar to our current version of vBulletin.

Beware, it will look different. I cannot duplicate this style but I will work to make it palatable. It will take time. First we make the change to new software and the default design ...blue. Then I can focus on making it look better. All posts and pictures will come over. Downside, depending on how the image was added it might show up as a thumbnail you have to click to see the full size. A minor annoyance. Newly added pics the poster can choose full size or thumb. Overall most is very similar but it is different and we all know there will be a learning curve. I resist change, maybe more than most but we cannot survive running software that is 10 years past end of life and PHP version that is also 10 years old and vulnerable to hacks, viruses and data integrity issues. I would not make this change if it was not absolutely necessary. I have procrastinated on this as long as I can. This is an expensive ordeal but I refuse to ask for donations before you see the new software. Please stick with me. We will all get through this together. Never fret, myself and the mods will be here to answer questions and help with all issues.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Like doc says, its going to work fine, just look and act a little different.

Iv’e been through the transition to the new software as a user on several forums and it was relatively easy.

Just don’t panic when you log in one day and everything is blue! :mrgreen:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys!!!!!

One more note: If for some reason you cannot access or contact the admin team here on the forum I have set up an email address that sends email to all of our team. Please jot this down in case you cannot see it on the forum during or after the change.

email: ntt@dothq.com for help with any forum issues.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Update on the move to XF.
The migration team has things about ready to go live. Maybe later today or tomorrow.
All looks great but I've been warned some permissions DO NOT transfer exactly as I have them set in VB.
Please PM me or email ntt@dothq.com if you have any problems or questions. I plan to make a new thread to share all questions and tidbits to help all members get used to this change as fast and easily as possible.
Cross your fingers ....we are about there. :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Update. Looks like it will be Monday or Tuesday before we have all the pieces in place to move to XF.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Everything looking good for migration on Tuesday 09/15/20.

I think you all will love the new software once you give it a try and find the different buttons. One difference you all will need right off is how to get to the last post in the thread. To do that click the date of that last post which is above the last posters name.

I expect an hour or so of downtime and then NTT will be up and running XF. All logins and passwords will be the same. Site Supporter and moderator tags will be added after we are up and running. PM's should come along but save what you have in PM's just in case. The wait is about over. I'm excited. :dancing: :blob_blue:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Please PM me or email ntt@dothq.com if you have any problems or questions. D

Please make a note of the email address off line! If for some reason you have trouble and can’t gain access we’ll get the email

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
With the new forum software you will have to log in with your password. I suspect many have done like I have and always used the 'remember me' option, so that you have not typed in your password for a long time.
This new software should make it easy for you to change your password if you have forgot it. But, if you need help with changing the password or anything else here on the forum and cannot post or PM please use the contact us button at the bottom right of your screen, or email the moderation team at ntt@dothq.com We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks and please be patient. Changes are never easy. We are all struggling with this to some degree.